Blood - They always take it out of you. Do they ever give you a transfusion,

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 109 subscribers

I have been thinking about this, for 3 weeks now.  I have noticed, that my veins seem to be flat now, where as before they were raised, I know with the chemo and morphine, and the other drugs, but has anyone ever had a transfusion ? Or are they holding back, until something else happens to you.  Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

• Even though I have had lots of blood taken away, my varicose veins still protrude rather alarmingly!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Seamus47

Are you bragging again,  seriously, mine have completely gone, muscles  too.  The muscle tone I have lost, it's silly. I would brag if I had even one vein that pulsed. Ha ha ha.

• Malcolm

I always thought that flat veins are better than protruding/bulging veins, I'll swap you.

Transfusion , I think that u would need one if a blood test was to show that your blood count was low.

Regards

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My husband is currently having blood transfusions and has had 11 units in the last 6 weeks as he is palliative only now not sure how much longer they will continue as they have not improved his hb levels or given him any respite from fatigue and breathlessness 

He is 2 years post diagnosis of advanced prostate cancer 

• Although I have a few varicose veins in my legs I have also found that my veins are flat and run away whena needle comes near these days.  I have given over 90 of blood over my lifetime.  Probably more as when I was in the Middle East with the Royal Air Force I gave there as well which wouldn't show on records here.  Was trying to get to my 100th as got bronze and gold pins and a lovely engraved glass for 75th  and from the Welsh Transfusion service a wooden love spoon for my 75th Tried to give as frequently as I could to get up to the 100th - difficult when your grand children live int he US and your brother lives in South Africa as can't donate within 6 months after visiting so try and visit one straight after the other.  Never had a problem at all just pop the needle in and out it flows.  However, around my 70th Birthday I went to give blood and they had to give up as the blood just wasn't flowing.  Tried to give a few times after that but it was the same so this could have something to do with age.  Had not had any cancer problems till 3 years after this so couldn't be blamed on the PCa or anything like that. 

Keep well.

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Hi Des, I am also ex forces,  did my 22 years and left in 1992.  Served with the Household Cavalry, Lifeguards.  For the last 12 years of my service I was at Hereford with you know who.  I was so fit, then when I left I was lecturing at Northumbria Uni.  Retired, again, moved to Yorkshire, ready to enjoy, what I had earned, then diagnosed with Postrate cancer last year, there is no winning isthere, ha haha so going through that now.  Take care mate.

• I was at Hereford with you know who as a PJI 1979-1982.  I was fit once too!  Due to being a parachutist have various back and neck problems, new hip and now new knee - the most painful thing I have yet experienced.  Have tried to keep as fit as I could since I left and worked out at least 3 or 4 times a week allt he way through my treatment but 4 months after my radiotherapy - which seems to be successful was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation which left me breathless just laying down so didn't do as much exercise and that was when the Hormone Treatment robbed me of muscle.  So now just wrinkly.  Walking around on crutches at the moment and that just makes me look even more wrinkly around the tops of my arms!  It seems I was unemployable after leaving as applied for many jobs in gymnasiums as basic trade was PTI and my last job was running the gym but no luck even as a relief instructor.  Guess I was just too old.

There is no winning but we just have to keep going and giving our best.

All the best mate and you take care too.

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Well See a UK eh cool I have hopped a few trees myself, I am now the proud owner, ( not so proud). of an electric wheelchair. Took me 8 months of fighting with myself to get in the bloody thing.  I hear you palq.

Check the sky friend.