MRI Fusion Biopsy

• 6 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Next step of the diagnosis journey. I was diagnosed on 25th July and scheduled for a repeat biopsy on 21st August. That was cancelled at the last minute, and finally almost month of hearing nothing, I have been rebooked for a MRI Fusion Biopsy under general anesthetic on October 4th. First time I have heard of this. Anyone had one?

The last biopsy results took almost four weeks to come through, so I imagine I'm not going to hear anything until November, before I am offered a treatment plan. Three and a half months since diagnosis. Nothing like the 62 day target in the news today!

• Hi Pura Vida.

Good afternoon and welcome it's great to meet you today sorry though it's under these circumstances!!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband's current situation and delays in treatment/biopsy.

Yes there's a lot on the news in regards to the delays in cancer treatment/diagnosis/scans and biopsies.

When I was diagnosed last June 2023 things went fairly quick in terms of the above which I feel very very lucky myself.

I'm very sorry but I haven't heard about the Fusion Biopsy myself but I do hope that other members of the forum will be able to offer you some help/support???

I do wish you both well and I do hope that everything works out ok for now and the future.

Prostate Worrier.

• Hello  

I have heard of it called a TRUS biopsy which is what I had. I assume it's the same.   A trans-rectal ultrasound biopsy with a new name!!

You have an MRI scan and once they have that result the samples are taken by inserting a type of needle along with the ultrasound probe through the wall in the back passage to access the Prostate. They use the MRI scan as a guide. It can be done either under a local or general anaesthetic.

Mine was done under a local and having a low pain threshold there was quite a bit of "industrial language" used by yours truly. You are well off having a general!!

We do try and push the 14 day and 62 day targets but the lack of staff in the NHS isn't helping in meeting these targets, and indeed at Macmillan we are very active in voicing our feelings over these targets not being met.

I wish you well with the biopsy, do let me know if you need any further information and let us know how you get on.

(Costa Rica is still on my bucket list!!).

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian,

Thanks for your comment.

I think this is going to be a transperineal biopsy. I must be a bit special as this will be my 7th biopsy! The 5th was very painful and the 6th almost as bad until the surgeon gave me more lidocaine which did the trick. I have probably been marked as an anxious patient now, hence offered general anesthetic next time! Prostate biopsies should not be painful, just uncomfortable.

Just after I posted the last comment I got a notification of a urology appointment for 31st October. They must have read my mind! I imagine the MDT will have all the results by then so that will be the point at which a treatment plan will be put together.

Can't wait for the 'wait' to be over. Grinning

Best wishes.

Stewart

• Hello Stewart ( 

I think this is going to be a transperineal biopsy. I must be a bit special as this will be my 7th biopsy!

One was enough for me thank you. You deserve a long service medal!!

It makes me shiver just remembering it back in December 2021!! Angry.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Wow PV, you've certainly had a few biopsies, that could be a record.

To put an end to biopsies let's hope they come up with a treatment plan soon.

Best wishes

Steve 

• I found out something about a "Fusion Biopsy" by asking Microsoft's Copilot AI.

Amidst all the pages I didn't trust was this from NICE, whom I do trust.

I include it as there is a fighting chance you understand more about it than I do:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/dg53/documents/overview

It looks like it is clever gadgetry designed to improve accuracy. In that, coupled with the fact that it is done under a general anaesthetic, it would have my vote.