Recently diagnosed.....

• 27 replies
  • 138 subscribers

Hi - after months of blood tests and wondering why my bloods are all deranged, my GP asked for a PSA test November last year.

This came back as abnormal (3.89) so another one was done in January this year, down to 2.56. GP was a bit alarmed by this as the level was just above the threshold to be referred to Urology.

By June it had gone up to 5.52, so MRI scan showed "Indeterminate area in Peripheral Zone".

July, had a Biopsy, and the results came back as follows;

6 biopsies taken, 4 containing cancer. Gleason Score 6 (3+3)

CPG=1, TNM=1 0 X

A month ago I was taken into hospital with shortness of breath, coughing up blood and chest pain, where they found a Pulmonary Embolism, so was immediately put on Apixaban blood thinners. The ED consultant said cancer can cause the blood to coagulate, so this is a possibility and he was questioning why I had been put on Surveillance rather than being offered treatment due to my age.

I'm 47.

He basically said to be honest with you, due to your age and you being diagnosed with it so early, I'd be wanting to get it treated on gone!

The Urology Consultant previously was a bit.... meh. Didn't really seem too concerned, I guess as it is quite low level, but arrrgh! I know its there!

Just after a bit of advice really, thoughts on treatment options etc. A friend of mine who is 10 years older said his was contained but his Gleason Score was a 7, and he had his Prostate removed!

Any thoughts or input gratefully received!

SP.