Liver function

• 7 replies
  • 131 subscribers

High liver function results. Awaiting scan. 
Anyone had this after prostate cancer?

• Hello and welcome  .

There are several reasons why you can have high liver function test results and one of them can be related to hormone therapy. It would help if you could update your profile with a little background information like have you been diagnosed with prostate cancer (PSA, TNM, Gleason) and if so what treatment have you had or are still on. Once we have a little more information we might be able to help a little bit more.

• Diagnosed with prostate cancer stage 2. No spread. 5 rounds of radiotherapy and hormone injections which finished one year ago.

• Hello Luna. Thanks for the update. With your statistics and the treatment you have had this should have dealt with the cancer but can you give us the PSA before treatment along with your most recent ones as this will give an indication of how well the radiotherapy is working so far and whether you could possibly have a recurrence. Also, it is unlikely that the high liver function readings would be as a result of the treatment you had a year ago. 

• PSA before treatment was a 9. Reading done last week was 0.08.

• This is an excellent reading post treatment and may go down even further. Remember, none of us are medically trained but, because the PSA is so low, I would be surprised if the liver function increase is due to prostate cancer. The only caveat is that there are some rare prostate cancers which do not secrete PSA but I would expect that to have been picked up during your initial diagnosis. It is possible that the radiotherapy might be causing late effects on the liver hence the scan so please keep us posted on your results. In the meantime you can help the liver by drinking plenty of water and limiting animal fats, alcohol, caffeine, processed foods and getting plenty of exercise. 

As I said before, there are many reasons why you may have a raised liver function test so I hope you get to the bottom of it.

• Thank you for all of your help. Will keep you updated.