Olaparib prostate

• 6 replies
  • 133 subscribers

I have been on olaparib and arbiraterone for six months now following MRI that showed metastasis, and PSA of 18. This is now down to 1. I also had to stay on the decapeptyl which I have had for six years following radiotherapy.

Main side effects are dizziness and fatigue, but monthly blood results have been OK so far. I feel very fortunate to be receiving all this because I know candidates are limited and it is expensive.

Other side effects are very tired legs when going to the loo at night, but you can work off the fatigue during the day with gentle exercise.

I have phone calls to discuss the blood results, and a face to face about every three months.

I am 71, and hope everyone out there is getting the attention and treatment they need.

• Thanks very much for the update on the PARP inhibitor Olaparib and glad you don't seem to have too many side effects. I seem to remember that the dizziness affected you soon after you started taking it with the Abiraterone so presume the experts have said it is one of the side effects you have got to learn to live with and monitor with regular blood pressure and heartbeat testing? Can I ask whether you were tested for the BRCA1 gene before you started taking it the Olaparib? 

Stay strong and keep fighting.

• I only read about the mutation after I’d been given the meds and info leaflets. I presumed they must have tested my tissue somehow but the oncologist didn’t mention it at the time.

Do they check your biopsy sample?

I’ve made a note to ask at my face to face outpatients next week.

Thanks for responding, I’ll try to get busier on this forum in due course.

• My husband's biopsy samples have been sent off for a genetic screening of 25 SNVs/INDELs, 11CNAs and 4 REARRANGEMENTS to give a better idea of which treatments might have more of a chance of working in the future plus it may open up the possibility of trials. Don't worry about the names but it is just to demonstrate that genetic testing for prostate cancer is getting more and more comprehensive and will no doubt be enlarged on in light of new information.

All the best for the face and keep us updated as and when you feel you can. It is good to hear about personal experiences with the newer treatments and it is one that I am personally interested in as my husband's oncologist has said this might be a possibility for him in the future.

• Hello  

Thank you for your post. The more information we have regarding the various treatments, the better off we all are to help one another. it's great to see your combination of medications is working.

Can I ask you to please update your profile - this will help others to understand how you have arrived here and why you are on your current treatment. To do this on your home page click on the chair icon (top right) then "profile" and then "edit". Once you have written something - don't forget to click on save. (You can read my profile by clicking on my name or avatar - but you don't need to write a book!!).

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you for prompting me.

It was difficult to know what to leave out.

I have returned to Macmillan after a long lay-off from sharing.

• Thank you  

We all share the common bond - Prostate Cancer.  We all take a different treatment route but we all try and aim for the same destination - to be cured.

The more of us who share our journey - the more information there is for new Community Members to soak up.

Thanks again, it's great to have you back.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.