Radiotherapy

• 19 replies
  • 133 subscribers

It appears that 20 sessions of radiotherapy is the norm. I know that there are a few cases of just 5 treatments (higher individual dose) but 20 seems to be the most common (i had 20 sessions in May). I understand that the norm used to be iver 30 (my bother had 38 sessions in 2008).   In the USA the current norm seems to be nearer 40.  I’ve not come across anyone in the USA who has 20 sessions. I’m wondering why this is. 
A further point. In the USA it appears to be common for people to have something that protects the bowels etc (e.g Space-oar?).  This is not commonly used here as far as i can tell.

Any ideas/comments

• Thanks for this. I know I could complain but I want to spend my time and energy getting better. E.g trying to find out want triggers my bowel problems, regaining muscle strength etc. 

I’ve read about other’s peoples hot flushes, ED problems, lack of sex etc but, although I have these side effects as well, they are relatively minor compared to losing all control over your bowels. At least that’s how it effects me. I’m 76 and, with low libido caused by this treatment, sex is the last thing on my mind. 

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I’m hoping to beat this thing!

• All I get from the support number is Invalid number...

• Hello  

I have just rung the support line 0808 808 00 00 from my land line and it's the correct number for support and was answered on the first ring.

Please give it another try and let me know how you get on.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• You gave me an 0800 number first time around, so no wonder I couldn't get a reply... However, it seems that it's all too late as my partner of 35 years has decided that she will go elsewhere for 'satisfaction' and I'm surplus to requirements... Goodbye all - no point in joining in any more...

• Good Afternoon  

Yes, you are correct, my mistake - sorry about that - the correct number is always shown at the bottom of any of my posts.

I am so sorry to read of your partner's actions - we are still all here to support you with your prostate cancer journey, and there's plenty of help available to deal with any personal issues you have.

We are still here for you - no one should fight this battle by themselves.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Good afternoon Andy.

Please don't give up on yourself or with the group. I know you have been struggling for quite a while and things look particularly bleak at the moment but just take one step at a time and reach out for the help that has been offered.

I am sure that I will be the first of many to offer you a virtual hug but I know that is not the same as having a physical hug that you have been craving for a while, but it is a start

•   , sorry to read your latest post.  It’s bad enough having PCa without having this extra to deal with.  We are all behind you and virtual hug from me.  David

• When you are in the kind of darkness you are in, nothing people can say is going to sound anything other than trite.

So I'm not going to say that stuff, just mention experience.

Quite often, in all the turmoil and darkness, something or someone good will pass through.

Let yourself notice it.

Don't grab it like a drowning man to a lifebelt.

Feed it slowly and carefully, like you would a campfire that you have started, nurturing it until it grows.

It will help and, eventually, take over.

• Hi Andy and Mstev ( and everyone else!) I really like how Mstev has described this coping strategy. I have in the past experienced a really bad bout of depresssion and so nearly gave up. Although I didn’t realise it at the time and have never been able to put it in words, I realise now that it was the seemingly minor things that happened that blossomed into life changing and life enhancing things which even now make me feel so fulfilled and happy. I know so well those dark days of despair but I am so glad I never gave up completely because I’ve had more happiness than I could ever have expected at the time. Mstev speaks some very wise, sensitive and calming words. Thank you Mstev. 

yes, I have had ‘downers’ at times but my experiences and learning from that depression has given me the strength to carry on in bad times and, I hope, have made me a better person in understanding other people’s own times of despair.

Andy, I hope, in some way, we can all give you that bit of hope and support you need. Hang on in there! We’ve got your back :)