PSA

• 10 replies
  • 135 subscribers

My husband had his last chemo today his PSA reading was 0.30, is this a good. It was 473 and do you think it will go lower his having the triplet medication.

Thank you 

• Hi Irish Terrier

I to have prostate cancer and when I was first admitted to hospital my PSA was over 1000. Now after radical radiotherapy and hormone injections some 12 months later my PSA is 0.22 I will have blood tests every 6 months and should the PSA go above 2 I need to report back to oncology. 
    So in answer to your question I would suggest that 0.30 is excellent and let’s hope it stays that way. 
    Best wishes

Merc 250

• Thank you I think there are so many different ways they record it and write it down, my husband was diagnosed in March so only 5 months. I  wish I could get to the stage where it's not the first thing and the last thing  I worry about every day
  • Hello  

The PSA test is a rough guide as to how the treatment is going. Anything less than 2 is amazing and you should be very pleased with 0.30. That's a reduction from 473 to almost nothing in 6 months.

I started with a PSA of 182, 32 months ago and my lowest reading has been 0.33 although I do have my 6 monthly PSA test tomorrow.

My message to you is everything is working - let's hope his PSA stays low and you can worry about something else - he's doing great.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you  I  do need  a rest from  worrying 

• Hello  .

The research shows that a mean 99.9% reduction in PSA is seen with triplet therapy with a nadir of 0.13 with Darolutamide so possibly a little further drop may be seen. That is still a fantastic drop and long may it stay low.

• Good luck with your psa test I hope it has stayed low.

• Hi  , that is a great PSA result.  You can now relax knowing that monitoring is in place.  If anything changes in the future you can deal with it, but for now, just enjoy living.  None of us know what will happen tomorrow, let alone in 5, 10 or 15 years time.  Also, advances in drugs and treatments are changing at a rapid rate so even an increase in PSA in the future is likely to be stopped in its tracks,  Good luck to you both, David

• Thank you David, I  think it might take awhile to get  rid of the  hand of fear gripping my heart but hopefully once he has the next MRI and has seen the oncologists next month it will. Having lost our grandson to luekimia because chemo didn't do much it's hard. Thank you for your reply 

• I can’t begin to imagine your pain.  Life just doesn’t seem to deal the cards evenly.  From reading your earlier note, I am sure your results in a few weeks will be fine, but it won’t stop you worrying in the meantime.  Love and hugs. David

• Very sorry to hear that,it’s the waiting that’s terrible then you switch on the TV or radio and everything’s Cancer this site is a god send ,stay strong Pray