20 RT sessions all complete

• 5 replies
  • 133 subscribers

I have now finished my 20 sessions of radio therapy I had one failure that got added on at the end and a humiliating episode where the bladder pressure was too much and I had to call a halt. Unfortunately not before I had created a puddle on their machine. I was allowed off to finish what I had started and returned to the bed after their next customer having drunk more water. It went OK the second time. At my completion review I got some soluble co-codamol for helping with the night-time peeing pain and some Tamsulosin that has helped me starting the flow. I never experienced any looseness of the bowel. In fact just the opposite was true and after 3 days without going, I was prescribed a laxative. The amount of new pill boxes in our medicine cupboard is like a hypochondriac's wet dream.

Waiting to get my date to see the consultant and to learn where my PSA levels now reside. Onwards . . .

• Good to hear that's done, and you are moving onwards.

Normally I would say "and upwards" but not, of course, the PSA level.

• Hi I have my rt in 3 weeks time did you eat as per normal or did you have a specific diet in place? Thanks Paul 

• Congratulations on finishing your RT!

I too had had one aborted session where I had to rush out, empty, fill-up again, and complete the session. When the pressure calls there is no other way. 

Hope the PSA readings are favourable. It's worth knowing there is a thing called PSA bounce which can occur up to 2 years after RT where the PSA has a small spike, and is not indicative of anything bad. 

Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

G

• Paul”63

Having been slightly alarmed by the warnings of diarrhoea being a common side effect of RT treatment I followed the diet sheet I was given. I normally eat a high fibre diet and cut out all roughage as advised. Through the whole treatment I never experienced a loose bowel. However, I became constipate with three days going by without a number 2. The mass in my bowel could have affected the way I presented for the RT treatment. The little enemas self administered before the treatment were producing nothing. Over a weekend I used a strong suppository which did the trick as well as resuming most of my normal diet. It is good to avoid all the foods that create gas. Gas bubbles are anathema to radiologists :-)
    It goes to show we all react differently. You will always be asked if you have any problems and having heard it all before, I am sure the RT team can fix anything.
    Best wishes
    MountPeter
  • That's great to hear.

I'm due to complete my RT on Wednesday (14th Aug) having had very little in the line of side effects. Like you  I had a few days of constipation for which I took Laxido which was prescribed for use before the start of the RT following that I went the other way but it seems to have settled down to nearer normal now.
    My urine flow was very slow during the night visits to the loo but more or less OK in the day, I mentioned this to the medics who said that it was quite normal and not to worry about it.
    Fatigue and tiredness have not been apparent so apart from more frequent visits to the loo which I put down to drinking the required two litres of water as much as anything else.
    I have eaten normally except for keeping away from any spices and dark green vegetables so not suffered with wind. My only 'Red Cards' have been the fault of the RT team who have tried to move treatment times by either being very early or simply changing an established routine.