MRI results please help

• 4 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hi everyone, I went for my biopsy today which was ok. I managed to get a copy of my MRI but just need some help to understand it please. Apologies for a lot of questions. 

• PSA 5.04- Prostate volume 38cc - Density 0.13

• Early central BPH change 

• Diffuse low T2 signal throughout posterior peripheral zone

• No evidence of extra prostatic extension or infiltration into seminal vesicles

• no enlarge pelvic lymph nodes

• no  areas of abnormal bone marrow signal

• partially distended urinary bladder, no focal lesion 

comment was;

2 small peripheral zone likert 4 lesions on a background of likes 3 change,the later may reflect prostatitis given history of LUTS

provisional radiological stage T2 N0

• Hi  , pleased to hear the biopsy went well and hopefully not too long to wait for results.  I know how concerned you were but to me (I’m not medical) the MRI results look very good.  I am sure others will be along soon to go into more detail, but relax for a couple of weeks.  Good luck with the results. David

• Hello  .

Hope you are feeling ok after your biopsy and just keep an eye on your temperature.

Remember that none of us are experts but this is my understanding. The MRI has given you a lot of information but the good news is that the lesions are contained within the prostate. The size of the prostate is slightly larger than a normal prostate for your age but can be consistent with BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) in the central area. The density is on the limit of suggesting prostate cancer. The lesions are found in the outer tissue of the prostate (the most common area to find changes) with none found in the central area around the ducts which is good. There is no spread seen into lymph nodes or bone. The Likert 4 is suggestive of prostate cancer in the two small areas.

You are probably going to be given the option of Active Surveillance, surgery or HT and radiotherapy in some form.

I hope that now you can relax a little and wait for the biopsy results.

•   , I knew AH would be able to give you a great interpretation.  Just for absolute clarity, so far the diagnosis is between let’s leave it alone and keep checking it out on one hand and on the other, take the initiative and kill it off early.  The biopsy will give additional help to your team as to which way to go.  Either route, you are a lucky chap catching it so early.  Let us know when you get the results and obviously ask any other questions. David

• Hi SCJ

It's already been said really but all looks ok

2 small lesions contained in the gland, the main point here.

Also good that PSA low, hopefully Gleeson will be the same.

You will probably be offered surgery or RT and HT or even active surveillance for a while.

Do much research before deciding but looks like time on your side.

Best wishes 

Steve