Eating during radiotherapy

• 9 replies
  • 135 subscribers

Hi all, would anyone have any suggestions what foods to avoid and recommend before during and after my radiotherapy which I start at the end of August I’m having 20 fractions,thanks all.

• Hi Paul

My main problem during RT was constipation , fairly common. meds helped in a limited way.

Best approach is stick to light meals ,  u may have to do an enema before you have your treatment session , hopefully your cancer centre not too far away as that does make the whole thing a bit easier.

Good luck

Steve

• Hi  with RT you will have a planning session before you start the 20 fractions.  At this session your team will line you up and scan, then apply 3 tattoos (little dots).  This allows the staff at the proper sessions to visually line you up although fine adjustments are made remotely while you are on the bed.  When I was given RT years ago, the aim was to have an empty bowel with no wind and a full bladder.  Unfortunately nobody explained this simple principle, so I had several planning attempts.  Once it had been explained, I went through 37 sessions without being bounced from the table once.  I am sure others will give you better dietary advice.  I got into a routine only allowing myself to vary on Friday or Saturday but reverting back to norm on Sunday, ready for a new week.  It was incredibly boring but otherwise quite easy.  Please ask any questions as you think of them.  Good luck, David

• Hi Paul, try to eat your normal meals at regular intervals, wind can be an issue so no carbonated drinks, dark green brassica's, onions or fatty foods, little things like eating slowly stops you swallowing lots of air, if you do feel you have too much wind a couple of slightly green bananas will help, PS try to get your appointments for roughly the same time every day,.

Eddie

• Hi Paul

Poole hospital gave us all a recommended diet sheet before starting RT.

In short it was low fibre everything , no caffeine, no alcohol or fizzy drinks. Onions, green leafed veggies, legumes or anything that would give you wind.

I ignored the advice Christmas lunch 2019 - one glass of wine and a few sprouts. Not funny.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi  

Tomorrow (31st July 2024) I will receive the tenth of twenty sessions on the 'sun bed'. I had some dietary recommendations at the initial planning meeting and from this forum and that meeting I understood the CT Scan process and requirement to be bowel empty and bladder full plus the need to keep well hydrated all of the time.

I have eaten more or less normally just avoiding dark greens and spices, I have also made a routine of 500cc of water four times per day. Friday night through Saturday night has been an exception within reason.

Having followed this routine plus the enema about 90 minutes before a session and required quantity of water before leaving home otherwise my day has been normal. I say 'required' as I believe this can vary per patient and is stated after the CT scan, mine was anyway. My travel time to the hospital is about forty minutes so I can fit this in easily. I now know that I am expected to have 180cc to 200cc 'on board' but being over is not a problem.

Last Friday I was complimented by the radiologists on presenting myself for a session in a perfect state bowel & bladder wise. So much so that they don't always do an ultrasound scan now.

As for side effects, basically at this point there are very few. There are times when my bowel dictates my actions but with reasonable management and the benefit of pelvic floor exercises this has yet to be a problem!

Good luck with the treatment,

Rod

• Hi Rod, I bet you never thought in your life that you would be complimented on your bowel preparation!Blush A dubious accolade? Only here could you tell everyone about this new honourBlush glad the rt is going eell

• Hi Paul,

Just saw this post of yours. 

Preston Park was reassuring my husband that he can eat what ever he eats regularly. However, all his treatments were in the morning and he eat very little before treatment and nothing of course after the administration of the enema. 

From what I see on this community, Brighton Preston Park was the only one not to hand over a list of not allowed food.

Good luck

Dafna

• This is the most comprehensive document about eating and drinking during radiotherapy to the pelvis that I have seen but no doubt there are many others.
    www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/.../

• Hi

How interesting. Completely at odds with the dietary advice given, in writing, by Poole hospital.

From my lived experience, had I followed this advice, I don't think I would have ever seen the inside of Poole hospital again - I wouldn't have been able to get there! Just wish the NHS could be consistent.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!