Fatigue after radical prostatectomy

• 2 replies
  • 129 subscribers

Hi all I am two half months post op and still suffering from fatigue any others in the same boat?

• Hi Ledzep. I’m a couple of months in front of you in terms of recovery. It took a few weeks for my abdominal muscles to heal and during that time I didn’t feel like doing much. I also remember short periods after this when I felt tired and uninterested in doing much but I’ve been okay for a while now. I think it might be a hormonal imbalance after prostate is removed that causes some strange stuff but hopefully steadies over time - this is pure speculation on my part by the way. 

• I can't offer you any direct advice from personal experience because my treatment plan is Radiation Therapy.

However, I have two friends, both of whom had surgery. We have talked together about the operation to a lady of our acquaintance who was a surgical nurse and reached the rank of matron before retiring.

She was very frank to my two friends about recovery from the surgery. She said that because it was effectively routine, and now quite quick with the robot surgery, which didn't mean that it wasn't major abdominal surgery. She said that everyone underestimates recovery time, and that rest is always the part underestimated.

Let how you feel guide your body to recovery.