Post Surgery

• 32 replies
  • 135 subscribers

Afternoon all

so today was the day for my radical prostatectomy. Arrived at Castle Hill Hospital at 6:50am and got taken through to the surgical lounge. Following seeing nurses & doctors regarding the op I was taken down in theatre just after 9.00am and was on the ward for 1:30pm, a little late but this was due to having to be given painkillers for the sensation of needing to urgently empty my bladder even though I have a catheter fitted, apparently this sensation will pass by tomorrow.

i was very sleepy from then until now (4:30pm) and still am so I’m going to sign off now before I drop my phone. The main thing from this is I’m still here and will still be here for years to come, after the surgeon popped his head in and told me that he got it all as planned with no complications.

Next job for me is to become a first time grandad at the end of this month so this cancer was no way going to beat me.

Best regards to you all, I’m going back to sleep

John

• Hello John ( 

Thank you so much for the almost live reporting today.  I am so pleased your surgery went to plan - here's to a quick and fast recovery with no problems. I look forward to further reports.

Congratulations on the forthcoming Grandchild too - they are amazing and you will love being a grandfather. Our 3rd grandchild arrived last Friday and as they say in our part of the world - I was "dead chuffed".

Best wishes - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Johnyboy. Great news that your journey back to full recovery is under way. Just take it easy and rest after your operation. Remember, you can’t do your pelvic floor exercise while catheter is in place. Good luck for a speedy recovery. 

• Thanks for that, I didn’t know that Thumbsup tone2

• Good news and continue to recover as you’re going to be a busy grandad no doubt. Enjoy your new addition to your family 

best wishes 

Liz x

• Hi John, that's great news about your surgery I hope your recovery is quick and side effect free, and what wonderful news your going to become a grandad for the first time it's going to be amazing experience for you, was recently blessed with my 8th and yesterday took 5 of them to Scotland to see family, take care.

Eddie

• Operation day +1 … bit of a rough night but that was more to do with the discomfort and the noisiness of a busy hospital ward in only semi darkness.

Out of bed this morning and into the chair next to it, dosing on & off to the music from my phone through earbuds (this a must bring to hospital thing in my opinion)

I have a lot of wind which when building is causing some discomfort, no bowel action as yet, 30 hours since I last went.

Just been told I’m off home today, the bag has been attached to my leg, the drain from my stomach has been removed & whilst not painful it gave a strange sensation which quickly passed, much like when you get that dragging discomfort in the lower belly when you take a hit to the meat & two veg, but like I said, this quickly passes.

Upon hearing that news, I immediately got dressed out of that hospital “gown” and into my clothes. I thought about this carefully beforehand, I bought baggy lounge bottom long leg pants as this way I can tie the chord at the top just under my man boobs like Simon Cowell and the baggy legs hides and gives room for the bag plus the chords not interfering or rubbing against the “wounds”.

The bag is currently attached to my lower leg and needed emptying, at this point I can’t bend down enough to pull the lever over the toilet so I had to get a nurse to do it. The surgeon told me that he got a good seal when re-attaching the urethra to the bladder so it will only have to stay in for 10 days, which is absolutely fine by me.

anyway that for today, and if anyone has any questions please don’t hesitate to ask on here, it may not be instant but I will answer you if I can

take care, good luck and remember, never bow down to prostate cancer, if I can go through these last 12 weeks and the recovery to come, then so can you, I’m just an ordinary guy like anyone else.

John

• Hi John what an illuminating post, I almost felt like I was there with you, great news everything is going well, PS slightly under ripe banana's are good for reducing wind, best wishes.

Eddie