Linac machine

• 8 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hello everyone.

I'm seven fractions into my RT treatment now. Everything is going very smoothly so far, but my only concern is that, during treatment, the Linac machine stops at a certain point in the process and has to be reset by the radiographers. This has now happened 4 times out of 3 to date.....once at my first fraction and now on the lest 3 consecutive days.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Best regards 

John

• Hi  , I had a few occurrences like that and it is quite disconcerting.  On one occasion they called for an engineer who bashed about with a hammer not far from me!  I can only assume that the treatment works if interrupted, maybe the radiographers can give you some reassurance.  Best wishes, David

• Hi John, The usual reason for interruptions is because the position of the tumour has moved, It only has to be a tiny amount for treatment to stop as modern machines work to such fine margins, the positional change is NOT the tumour moving, more likely something like your breathing or digestive system is the cause, I known what a pain it is when things don't run smoothly, but I wouldn't be concerned, best wishes.

Eddie

hes

• Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

The radiologists have, very kindly, said that the machine has stopped due to the fine margins in treating one area of my prostate and moving to another where the dimensions are different. The machine, they say, is having difficulty in making the appropriate changes hence the shut down and restart.

They have also told me that the interruption would not affect the overall efficacy of each treatment......fingers crossed Fingers crossedFingers crossed. Still rather disconcerting nevertheless.

Cheers 

John 

• Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. I'll bring that up with them at tomorrow's session.

Cheers 

John

• No problem, best wishes for tomorrow, and good luck your RT, take care.

Eddie

• Hi Eddie,

Following on from yesterday.....as soon as I went in for my session today I was immediately informed that engineers had been working on the machine and...hey presto.....a flawless experience this time. Cross fingers that continues for the remaining fractions.

Regards 

John

• Great news John, hope it's all smooth sailing to the finish line, best wishes

Eddie

• Thanks very much Eddie. 

All the best

John