Apalutamide & chemo advice

• 11 replies
  • 131 subscribers

Hi All,

Today my dad was prescribed Apalutamide alongside his current treatment Zoladex. I have a few questions. 

1. Do the side effects differ from Zoladex? So far he has had hot flushes, feeling more sleepy and difficultly maintaining muscle despite going to the gym, slight increase in weight around his belly. 

2. I have seen in some threads people recommend a blood pressure machine - I’m going to order one but what are we looking for? Spikes in blood pressure and if so what does this mean? 

3. We have been told this and Zoladex would be his treatment for now. They said usually they recommend   Chemo when it’s more widely spread. Dad has it in the prostate and bones. However if he does want to have it the option is there. Do we consider getting it sooner rather than later or is it better to have it in the back pocket for later down the line. I guess what I’m asking is it more effective to have it sooner vs waiting? Conscious he’s not getting any younger (66) and maybe now is better whilst he is more tolerant and general healthy and well despite the cancer.