HIFU (High Intensity Focused Ultrasound) Experience

• 4 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hi

I hope my story might be useful for some.

I am 56 years old from Bristol and was diagnosed last October 2023 with localised prostate cancer on the right (peripheral) side only. I caught it early by chance. My wife suggested asking my local doctor for a PSA check. My PSA was high at 6.7 ug/L and the (unpleasant) biopsy determined I had a Gleason score of 7 (3+4) - grade group 2 - medium aggressive risk.

After doing lots of research online I saw that the outcomes from a radical prostatectomy and other treatments were pretty depressing. I wanted to preserve as much of my lifestyle as possible. Two consultants recommended a radical prostatectomy.

I then looked into HIFU and saw that, thanks to the great efforts of the charity Prost8 UK a new 'Sonablate' (HIFU) machine had just recently been supplied to nearby Bath RUH. One of the leading experts in prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment Professor Hashim Ahmed from Imperial College London helped train the amazing team at Bath led by Lucy Simmons and Jon McFarlane. I asked for a referral via my GP and spoke to Bath in January. Prost8 UK also helped move things along.

I also watched two free live webinars about focal therapies (HIFU being one) kindly provided by Imperial College London. It seemed like the best option for me given my early diagnosis and age. I highly recommend watching one if you can.

HIFU is available on the NHS and it's worth researching where your nearest centre is that offers it.

I had HIFU treatment in March thanks to the NHS and Prost8 UK charity at Bath RUH. I was a day patient - in and out in 8 hours. I had a catheter for 10 days which was the worst part as it's uncomfortable and annoying. I also had painful bladder spasms with the catheter but the ibuprofen, paracetamol and Tamsulosin drugs helped.

My PSA is now 0.81 (end of June 2024 - 3 months post-treatment) and I have very little discomfort. I’m almost back to normal. My outcome has been so much less damaging than more invasive treatments.  There has been some nerve damage but it's not bad. According to the available statistics, the only increased risk is a margin of around 5% more chance of recurrence compared to other treatments; so 20% (around 1 in 5) rather than 25% (1 in 4) chance of recurrence.

I also has a few useful counselling sessions with the Penny Brohn centre near Bristol who are incredibly supportive and friendly. This helped with the emotional shock of it all and coming to terms with it.

Whatever path you choose, I wish you all the very best for a successful outcome.

• Thank you ( 

This thread will be a very useful resource for future questions on HIFU treatment.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Tedstar,

Brilliant post. So informative.

LSlight smile

• Thank you for posting this, Tedstar; this is interesting news and may, just possibly, be an 'interim answer' to my own situation.  My position is very similar to yours, with the same Gleason score; the major difference being that I am 15 years older than you. 

I think this HIFU is an avenue I ought to explore because my own experience with 'Prostap' (a chemical injection which - as I understand it - stops the growth of the cancer for a while by preventing the prostate from making testosterone upon which the cancer feeds.  The uncomfortable but not-as-bad-as-I-feared perineal biopsy showed a strong but "contained" evidence of cancer on one side of the prostate only, but the answer seems to be remove the whole thing.  It is only through the experience of the Prostap that I have learned how much the body needs its testosterone to function normally, experiencing effects which - in my case, anyway - appear to have the effect that, putting it simply, 'That all my get-up-and-go has got up and gone'...   I'm sleeping much more fitfully than previously, my strength and energy had reduced by about 25%-40% (I lift weights and both the keeness to do so and the ability have dropped dramatically this last 6 months since taking it), so any 'path' which enables me to retain some prostate function for a few years more is something I'm very keen to pursue.  This may, perhaps, be an avenue I can take myself.  Thanks again !

• Hi Pareidolia

Sorry to hear about your lack of energy and strength. I did read that testosterone is required for the cancer to grow and that's why hormone therapies and even orchidectomy is an option.

My understanding is that HIFU can be a very effective treatment with only a 5% increased chance of recurrence. Even if it comes back, HIFU or other focal treatment could be a secondary/salvage treatment, or a radical prostatectomy, if needed. If you have localised peripheral cancer then it is worth investigating.

Good luck and I hope you manage to find the best pathway.