Post Radiotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 132 subscribers

I finished 20 days of radiotherapy a week ago. Almost the whole time during RT I experienced bowel problems. I never missed a treatment but there were some days where i nearly did. To be honest it was immodium that got me through it. I tried a strict diet that was recommended but it made little difference. A week later i still have bowel problems and recently it started to sting when urinating.

To make things worse i caught a bad cold, which completely knocked me out. I’m wondering if the RT lowers the immune system and so it effected me worse than it would normally do.

I’ve read that side effects normally last for 2 weeks after RT finishes. Is that what I can expect? Or do bowel problems continue and, if so, what's the best way to deal with it?

• Hi  .

I am pleased that your radiotherapy has finished, but we found it a bit of an anticlimax and in limbo as suddenly all the appointments came to an end.

The radiotherapy can affect your immune system, especially if some of your lymph nodes have been zapped. Your body is trying to get rid of the debris from the dying cells as well as dealing with everyday infections and challenges. This is why they keep an eye on your bloods, particularly the white portion which normally increases when you body is fighting infection or removing the debris. Your body should soon get back into balance and the radiotherapy will continue to work for a long time.

Some people recover from bowel and bladder problems post radiotherapy quite quickly, others may take a lot longer or find that they have problems later on. For the stinging when you urinate, this can be helped by drinking more. If it persists then it might be a sign of a urine infection for which you would need to see a doctor to get antibiotics. The bowel problems may take a little while to resolve but trying slowly to get back to your normal diet may help. Things like oatmeal and Greek yoghurt (probiotics) can help gut issues. Also eating little and often. I am sure others will come up with some suggestions but I hope you get sorted soon.

• Hello Coltrane, like Alwayshope, we found ourselves in a bit of a limbo after the radiotherapy. My husband suffered with fatigue and brain fog for a few months. the oncologist told us that the radiotherapy continues its job for 6-8 weeks following the last session and that it can sometimes take up to 6 months for all the symptoms to subside. This prompted his advice not to travel abroad for 6-8 weeks after the end of the RT.

Just to advise you, my husband had his last 3 monthly injection in February and so technically the HT is no longer in his body. The oncologist told us it would be another 5-6 months before his body gets back to 'normal' - but no bans on travelling abroad!!! I feel in a limbo now. Does he have cancer, is he cured and cancer free, is this the end of treatment or is there more to come? We are told he will be monitored 6 monthly for 10 years! As he says, 'it is what it is and will be what it will be. we've done all we can for the time being.'

• Hi  , pleased for you that you got through the RT.  It is so monotonous with the routine trips to hospital, that it can feel like something is missing when it stops.  RT is completely painless and you don’t think anything is happening, but it hits you pretty hard and although much more targeted than it used to be, can still cause collateral damage.  Some is temporary and some can be longer term.  Also I was told that the RT continues to work for some time after you have stopped treatment, so changes can occur months later.  As  said, most problems settle down after a couple of weeks, but if you are concerned give your team a ring.  I hope you get everything resolved quickly, but please come back if you have more questions. Best wishes, David