Ring the Bell

• 3 replies
  • 133 subscribers

A msg from my partner’s experience

Forgive my intrusion but this msg has dual purpose 

1.  To say ‘thank you’ 
2.  To bring the attention to men the importance           of having a PSA test.

Tuesday 22 May 2024 will be an emotional milestone for me, being the day I completed my treatment for prostrate cancer.

March 2023, having made an appointment to see my GP for something non-cancer related  but resulted in me being diagnosed, through blood test results, as having ‘prostrate cancer’.

Further biopsies, MRI/CT & PAT scans confirmed that I had prostrate cancer Stage 5 Aggressive - and that some cancer cells had also broken away from the prostrate & attacked themselves to my pelvic lymph nodes - hence my prostrate could not be removed & my only option was to have chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy:

Chemo - 8 sessions 3 hours every 3 weeks 
Radiotherapy - 20 consecutive days excl w/end 

Was I scared??? YES 
Cancer not only has physical implications but also mental which plays mind games & scars your brain.

Did I have side effects??? YES 
All treatments have different side effects; mine included tiredness, loss of body hair, spells of confusion & anxiety.

During my treatment I was supported by my friends & my partner Jan was like my rock - selfishly I didn’t think what she too was going through, as it does affect the ones you love too.

November 2023 was the start of my chemotherapy treatment together with having HRT injections to stop my body producing testosterone on which cancer feeds.

It was tough……..

The HRT treatment will continue for 3 years until 2027.

April 2024 I commenced radiotherapy until 22 May, when I rang ‘the bell’ - what an emotional experience - shared with my partner. 

As men - we are so reluctant to talk about issues concerning  our health, both physical & mental - WHY????  Please don’t let pride come before a fall guys.  
My consultant told me how lucky I was going to see my GP back in March 2023 otherwise the possibility of me being being dead now was highly likely.  So my message to all men 40 year plus  is to make a simple call to your GP & request a PSA test which could make the difference between life & death.  Also, pls understand that prostrate cancer can be hereditary & can be passed to male family members.

In conclusion, I want to thank:

The Consultants/ nursing staff  @ Ysbyty Gwynedd both Urology/Oncology & Alaw Ward.
The radiotherapy staff at Glan Clwyd Hospital.
My many friends who supported me & also still do.
Last but no means least - Jan my partner ‘my rock’.

I have now my fingers firmly crossed as in 3 months time I will hopefully receive confirmation that my treatment has worked & I will become a person “living with cancer”.

Reading this message, should anybody want to chat - pls do not hesitate to call me  077xxxxxxxxxx

It’s pays to talk - as a problem shared is a problem halved.

• Good Morning  

A warm welcome to the Macmillan Prostate Cancer forum and thank you sharing your partner's prostate cancer journey. I fully agree with you that all men should be tested, but then if bulk testing was done now the "time bomb" it brought to light would overwhelm the already overworked NHS.

I am pleased you have not posted your mobile number - as this is against Community Guidelines. If anyone wishes to contact you they need to send you a "Friend Request". Once that's accepted you can use our private message service to chat - if you wish to exchange personal details there - that's fine.

Thanks again for the positive post and I wish your partner well on his Hormone Therapy journey (I had my last injection on my 3 year HT/RT journey yesterday!).

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• A good post and hope fully it will encourage more men to get tested . But I would add a few comments 

1 The gene for prostate cancer is not only passed from male relatives but also if your Mother /Grandmother  had Brest Cancer it put s the Makes in the line at a much higher risk of Prostate Cancer .

2 It’s all good encouraging men to ask the GP for a PSA test but nearly all my friends that I encouraged to do this hit a brick wall at the GPs who were very reluctant to carry it out and they had to be forceful and persistent to get the test . So don’t give up with the GP .

wishing the OP all the best for speedy recovery . 

• Thank you  for your story. As a wife I have had to watch my husband deal with the mental struggles having been diagnosed with cancer plus the treatments has had on him - it's not nice so Jan an extra hug from me to say welcome and well done. 

Now comes the monitoring stage which can feel a bit of an anticlimax. The routine of hospital appointments comes to an end and the 'crutch' of the medical support suddenly seems to have disappeared as we adjust to a new normal of getting on with the rest of our lives with the hope that the cancer has been put to bed, but anxious as it comes round to the PSA test.

This is an ongoing journey so let us know how you are both doing and hopefully give us the news that you are both 'Living with Cancer' in 3 months time. Don't forget that if you have any questions for the forum then ask away as there is always someone who has been there, done that and worn the T-shirt. You are also invited to join in the conversations as we all learn from each others experiences.