Why only PSA tests and no scans after treatment - an answer and other facts!

• 32 replies
  • 136 subscribers

Hi all, this evening we have been to our local prostate cancer support group and an urology consultant was the guest speaker. We have several times on here asked why we can’t have scans after treatment and have to rely on PSA tests which, before diagnosis are said to be unreliable!

this is the answer he supplied;

MRI Scans can  indicate possible cancer only eg the prostate or lymph nodes enlarged in the area being scanned. There may be microscopic cancer cells which haven’t enlarged a lymph node yet or in areas away from the abdomen.

PET scans can give false positives. sorry, I can’t remember the specific reasons he gave for not being able to rely 100% on other types of scans.

The most reliable way of knowing whether there is any active prostate cancer in the body is the PSA test. You can never get absolutely zero PSA because other parts of the body eg salivary gland and the pancreas secrete very small amounts of it. PSA itself serves absolutely no purpose in the human body but it has a function in foxes and dormice .

he also said:

when they do a biopsy they can and often do take samples from tissue outside the prostate. 

Our menfolk cannot be classed as ‘cured’ until 10 years post treatment. Monitoring should be for 10 years post treatment.

we had a very interesting discussion ( and a lot of laughter!,,)about ED following prostatectomy and the various ways of dealing with it. If  no nerves have been spared at all, medication is no use whatsoever. If men have pumps, injections, surgical procedures  etc etc they can still achieve a climax but no ejaculation and it will feel different! At this point a man in the audience said he could vouch for it being different because it is a lot better!!!! More laughter and lots of blushes from his wife/ partner!!!

Although most men take their partners to the consultations to discuss the surgery and during which incontinence and ED are discussed, it is the man with pc who legally has the right to make the decision - partners and spouses can obviously talk about their concerns but they have absolutely no legal rights in the decision- making. As has often been said on here, some men just ‘want it out’ whatever the risks and some men absolutely don’t want the surgery!

Robotic surgery is the routine mode of surgery these days. The difficulty with this is that there is no ‘haptic feeling’ for the surgeon Ie he/she can’t feel with their hands  how hard they are pulling or tying sutures and they rely absolutely on their vision.

He put his hand around the outside of a glass tumbler. He said that the glass represented the prostate and his fingers around and holding the glass represented the nerves. Thus the nerves are stuck to the prostate. During prostatectomy, so long as the cancer is contained in the prostate, he attempts to gently peel back the nerves to remove the prostate but leave the nerves intact. If the tumour has broken through the prostate wall, leaving the nerves risks leaving some of the cancer cells..

He said he encourages patients to talk to both a surgeon and an oncologist/ radiotherapist before making a decision.

surgery after prostatectomy has been attempted occasionally but there is a high risk of severe incontinence problems.

i have had a day of hassle +++ and am really tired this evening. This talk was for about 2 hours so I’ve probably forgotten a lot. But it was a good talk with audience input. Just thought you might all be interested in the bits I can remember !

• Hi WW.

That's so good of you to share this. Thank you so much! 

LSlight smile

• You’re welcome. I know it’s something we’ve often pondered in this forum. 

• Thank you WW, It's always good to lean, and I agree with the guy in the audience, It is a lot better

• Hi that’s great information for everyone so valuable what a forum off warriors stay strong Robert xx

• Good Morning WW

What a cracking post. Very informative and a good read too.

Just sometimes I feel pleased to be the proud owner of a prostate (even though some "chips" have been shaved off it). Once I have finished this Hormone Therapy - there's still hope for me and Mrs Millibob!! JoyJoy.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for a brilliant post. The only flaw in the argument is the psychological effect of being able to see that the cancer has been dealt with is ignored.

• Thanks, Brian. It really was a very informative evening . Another point he made about ED is that the balancing of the risk is not age dependent. Some much younger men are prepared to accept the risk of this at any cost just ‘to get rid of the cancer’ and some much older men won’t consider surgery because of the risk of ED as they consider it an important part of their masculinity etc.

He said that the issue becomes more pertinent when the possibility of divorce, death of a wife or remarriage or wanting more children are thrown into the conversation.  He also cautioned that there is no guarantees with either RT or surgery that you have ‘got rid of the cancer’ - hence the need for 10 years of PSA monitoring. 

i think this proves what we have often acknowledged - it is a very personal decision to make - what’s right for one person may not be right for another. What it does show, though, is that the decision should be made armed with as much counselling and information as possible.

• Hi AH thank you for raising this point. I think the points he was trying to make was what we all know, no treatment guarantees a complete ‘getting rid of the cancer’. But I agree, the psychological impact of knowing you’ve done everything you can, irrespective of what treatment pathway you are on, does bring comfort and hope and, more importantly, some extra years. 

The consultant was obviously talking from a surgeon’s point of view. We only ever discussed my husband’s treatment with an oncologist. I have asked my husband if he wishes now that he had had the option to discuss the surgical option. He said that he acknowledges that it’s a really personal choice but he never , at any point, wanted the surgery . At the time, I did the research and the statistical survival outcomes of surgery v RT and HT we’re extremely similar so I was just thankful that, after ‘wobbles’ my husband opted for at least one treatment pathway! 

• You are so right.

it is a very personal decision to make - what’s right for one person may not be right for another.

How many times do we see the post saying - "I just want it out!!"

I know on a personal basis I would have said no - it's major surgery and the chance of not being able to "Pee" never mind "Perform" properly would have been at the back of my mind.

It was bad enough learning to pee again after 10 months with a catheter and the TURP operation!!

I know we try hard and there are suggestions for a "pinned post" showing the pros and cons of surgery - I have said no to this as we are all different and there are so many factors affecting each individual.

Thanks again for your continued support to the Community - although we don't always agree (we aren't normally too far apart) your posts make my life much easier.

Kind Regards - Brian x

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Well , I have to say a big thank you to you, Brian , and others here, for getting us through some very very dark days of fear and despair!!! We couldn’t have got to where we are today without you all! Although my husband does not post here, I always tell him about the ‘hot topics’ :)