Studies

• 10 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Just a thought… various studies say that men over 75 ought not to be tested as they would outlive the cancer anyhow.   What is the feeling? Most of us are amateurs and just going along with treatments. 

• I would say....rubbishSweat smile

What about men who may live to 90 and beyond, perhaps they may like a test just in case spots something aggressive 

Steve 

• Hi Cumbrialady

hmmm! A big question! Women over 70 are not invited for mammograms but can have one on request. Bowel cancer testing ( the FIT test) stops at, I think, 75. I’m not sure if routine cervical smears stop at a certain age?

This, I think, sends out mixed messages! Does this mean that people’s lives are not worth saving over a certain age ie let them die off to save pension and health service costs? Or does it mean that the big C is less likely to kill them off or there is lower prevalence? 

my husband was 75 when diagnosed. He’s had 18 months of treatment and that really took its toll despite being only RT and HT and none of the more aggressive treatments some members here are enduring. I guess, at 75+ it might be a question of quality or quantity of life for some? But…. Life is precious and the longer you live the more years you want!

just some thoughts! Blush

• Hi  , as a 75 year old, I would much rather know if I had cancer than remain in ignorance.  Sounds like a cost inspired quote to me.   David

• I think that not testing is a bad idea. Not all prostate cancers are slow. Why risk having painful untreated mets to the bones just to save on a test?

Based on the number of people who contract prostate cancer in their late 40's I think they should start testing men at 40 rather than 50. On my first test I was 51 years old and already had a stage 4 prostate cancer. I so wish I would have had the chance to become aware of it while it was still at stage 1.

• It's a good question.  My personal opinion is that it should be up to the individual whether to be tested or not.  You could already have multiple other health conditions affecting quality of life so would choose not to be tested, whereas others may be generally quite fit & active so would welcome the opportunity to find out & be treated.

• I have 4 adult children in their 40s. Because of my husbands family history they are considered at high risk of prostate and breast cancer and have been advised that our daughters should have annual mammograms and the sons should have annual PSA test. Three of them are having annual tests, one is declining to do so. I wish all 4 would be having regular tests and it’s hard to accept this decision. I have to accept that he’s an adult and has a right to make his own decisions. It doesn’t stop me loving him but I really fear he might develop PC and not find out before it’s too late for a cure.

• Hi Worriedwife.

Yes I have got two children as well in there early teens and because of like your husband I have got a family history of Prostate Cancer and Cancer generally.

I had a test last June upon diagnosis as there was a likely hood off me carrying the "Braca Gene"

I have got my next appointment with my consultant next month and I will press him for the results.

I don't want my children to go through what I am currently experiencing with this monster especially when if caught early enough it can be "Cured" 

Prostate Worrier.

• Hello PW, yes, we went through the genetic counselling and blood test etc. like yourself, my husband does not have the BRCA gene - what a relief! However, we were told there may be breast and prostate cancer causing genes that have not yet discovered and to have a repeat test in about 5 years. Like yourself, our concerns are very much for our children too! 

genetic counselling sounds easy when you’re dealing with cancer itself but actually I found leading up to getting the blood results I began to feel quite tense in case we got a positive result. The negative result was accompanied with intense relief!

I hope your children stay safe and that by the time they reach a high risk age group there will have been even greater advances in preventing and/or curing cancer.

best wishes

• Hi Worriedwife.

Many thanks for your reply I am glad that your husbands results came back negative & I do hope that mine are the same but I will still be educating either way with the word "CANCER" 

I do hope that everything goes well for you all now and in the near future???

Prostate Worrier.

• Thank you PW. My husband has had   Rt and has just finished 18 months of HT. we are keeping our fingers crossed that they have succeeded in achieving a cure. He was T3a N0M0 Gleason 4+3. He had been ‘watched’ for quite a few years with a slowly rising PSA. It reached 10 exactly 2 years ago and action was deemed necessary so off we went to urology and the rest is history! Not an easy journey to be sure but I am so very grateful for the support and info so freely offered here.