Over 75

• 9 replies
  • 133 subscribers

After reading many articles … mainly UK based , it is advised that men over 75 should not be tested as they would outlive prostrate cancer . What do people think? 
we are sitting here with T3a No Mo ,  clear bone scan and Gleason 3 +4. age 79   Active cyclist, gardener and table tennis player.  
next move is discussion with oncologist. Feel we’re being pushed into treatment rather than Active surveillance or watchful waiting. What have others done? Thankyou 

• Hi CL

T3a, just broken through the gland, reckon  you need to start some Radiotherapy and HT to sort it out, still potentially curable .

Best wishes 

Steve

• Hi Cumbria lady I’m the same diagnosis practically but I was opposite,I wanted it treated as quickly as possible instead off AS,I’m glad now as I’m on HT and it’s certainly calmed my mind,everyone’s different in how we approach treatment and this site is so special xxx

• Hi  , I can see some sort of logic in assuming PC is slow growing and most guys die with it not of it, but with a T3a diagnosis, personally I wouldn’t wait.  PC may be slow growing but once it gets near the gland edges then control is needed to stop further spread.  I think you need to hear the options before making any decisions.  Don’t feel pressured but try and get a view of the likely outcomes of each option and then make your decision.

Please ask any questions.  Best wishes, David

• Thanks for your reply. What’s the side effects? 

• Hi Cumbrialady,

"After reading many articles … mainly UK based , it is advised that men over 75 should not be tested as they would outlive prostrate cancer . What do people think?"

There's going to be men that have highly aggressive advanced cancer that would quickly die without treatment who would be caught up in that theory. Men that would possibly live for another 10 years with treatment. Similar to not testing men in their 40's because statistically men of that age shouldn't have it. Only to find later on that it's out of control with no cure in their 50's. I think there needs to be more awareness of Men and prostate cancer and articles like this do men a great disservice.

I think having the tests give each individual an idea of how serious their diagnosis is and the choice of what they want to do with that information. Age and grade is certainly a major factor. 

I hope you come to the right choice for you as a couple and hopefully your consultant can give you help with the predicted timelines without treatment so you can weigh it up. 79 and fit is pretty darn good!

Best wishes

L

• Hello  

After reading many articles … mainly UK based , it is advised that men over 75 should not be tested as they would outlive prostrate cancer . What do people think? 

I set off with a diagnosis of a Gleason 7 - After my TURP operation and the prostate chips were examined I am now in the Gleason 9 club!! Grimacing.

This cancer can and does change - through other complications (see my journey) I have had a "scare" - I am only 68 life is good. Every day is a bonus. I have done 30 months on Hormone Therapy and still going - do I regret it NO - I don't want a slow painful death.

You cut your finger - you put a plaster on it you see it heal and in a week you are better. This cancer you can't see - you need trust in your team - trust that they will cure you - yes everyone should be tested.

As  said in the first post

still potentially curable .

- if it breaks out of the gland and goes "walkabout"  - well I am not going into that but I personally wouldn't like to be in his shoes - fit or not!! once it's spread!!

At the end of the day it's personal choice - thanks to my team I am able to write this post!!

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello  .

PCUK have a good article which explains what the recommended course of action is for someone with your husband's statistics but basically it is the T3a which is pushing him into the higher risk group as the cancer has already broken through the capsule and so treatment is advised. Having a fit husband at 79 is a bonus as the doctors have more options to offer him at the moment. How quickly the cancer will grow or spread in your husband's situation is a discussion you are going to have to have with the oncologist and weigh this up with how, as a couple, you can cope with the knowledge of having untreated cancer if you go down the AS route which should mean regular blood tests, DRE, and scans to monitor how much the cancer is growing. 

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/just-diagnosed/what-do-my-test-results-mean

• As an adjunct to my previous post I have found this which suggests that having radiotherapy, even for those over 75, can improve life expectancy by on average 2 years. I would also think that Watchful Waiting would not be recommended to anyone with a T3 diagnosis.

https://www.redjournal.org/article/S0360-3016(05)01382-9/fulltext#:~:text=The%20life%20expectancy%20of%20men%20who%20receive%20radical%20radiation%20treatment,radiation%20treatment%20for%20prostate%20cancer.

From a personal point of view, my husband is now 80 and diagnosed in 2020 with T4 prostate cancer. I watch him daily coping with a lifetime on HT and would not wish that on anyone. He had radiotherapy to the pelvic area which was successful with no bowel or bladder problems. Ultimately you have to trust the doctors but I understand that you have an issue with this in your area so maybe seeking a one off private consultation might give you a more balanced opinion.

• Thankyou that is helpful