Me again

• 25 replies
  • 134 subscribers

Hi there

So, 4 weeks from diagnosis, we take each day as it comes...some good, some bad.  We have both taken comfort from some of the other's comments who are in the same boat ie "treatable'.

I have done a lot of reading and also watched the YouTube that someone kindly shared of the Dr inthe USA.  He mentions a PSMA PET scan and I wondered if anyone knew if such scanners are located in Scotland? Hubby is being treated at Beatson.

Many thanks and l9ve to all

Amanda

X

• Hi Amanda.

I have found this which implies that Glasgow has one.

https://www.prostatescotland.org.uk/news/nhs-scotland-to-introduce-new-psma-scanner-service-to-help-detect-advanced-prostate-cancer

The Beaston have a PET CT department but you would have to check that they have access to the tracer and the expertise to interpret the scan.

My husband has had 2 of these so far and they are pretty accurate provided the PSA is above 0.4.

• Hi Amanda, nice to hear from you again and good to hear you are studying though hopefully not on Dr Google, as for PSMA PET scans in Scotland, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde, NHS Tayside, NHS Lothian and NHS Grampian I believe have them, not sure which hospitals but if you look on www.prostatescotland.org.uk that may help, take care.

Eddie xx

• Thanks Eddie

That's good news! 

We have our first chat with the oncologist consultant at beginning of August,.so we are praying that HT is doing its thing.

Hope you are well x

• Thank you, that's great advice x

• Hi Amanda,

Nice to hear from you. I do not know about PSMA PET in Scotland. 4 weeks from diagnosis is very fresh and raw and all consuming.

I can share our experience of 6 months since diagnosis. It is a cloud above us but half of the time we forget about it. We just go about our normal life as we did last year this time. We celebrate our adult kids birthdays next week, we cuddle our grandchildren, we walk, gardening, planning a holiday and watching the season change into summer. As people mentioned here, we become more close than ever before and our kids have more time for us. I think you as well will be more relax about it in few months time.

Lots of love

Dafna

• Thank you Amanda, I am ok, i have an aggressive type IDC-P and pattern CP4 PCa that adapts quickly to HT treatments, though after only my second HT injection my PSA was down well over 99%, and my experience is not unusual, good luck at the consultation, IF we can help you in any ay with it please ask, best wishes.

Eddie xx

• Thank you Dafna

It is very hard at the moment and it is all consuming I have to say.  I think we will be better placed when we have had the first results to see if PSA has gone down and have spoken to the consultant.

Reading all your lovely responses to myself and others has certainly helped!

Take care x

• You are so kind Eddie. I have read your responses to a lot of people and I love that you are so always gracious and willing to help others ...bless you amd take care x

• Amanda that' a very nice thing to say, thank you, but I get much more out of the forum than I could ever put in, take care.

Eddie

• Hi Amanda , it’s mind boggling  all the literature you can find online. We hope to get all my husbands  results 5th June but not holding our breath as this process has been long at WGH .   Best wishes