Chemo coming to an end

• 4 replies
  • 133 subscribers

I have now had 5 sessions of chemo and my 6th is on 5 June . My PSA has dropped to 0.1 so far and I am being moved onto 6 monthly hormone injections . What should I expect as my treatment plan and monitoring going forwards . I am also on daraloutamide which I have to receive from the hospital as it is not available on general prescription . Can I expect to continue with monthly PSA blood tests ? And any views on what next stage treatment might be and whether further monitoring scans are likely . I am on a version of stampede and any experiences from others would be very welcome . 

• Hello Skippy.

Great news that you are almost at the end of Chemotherapy and that you have tolerated it for the full course. Even better news is that the PSA is down to 0.1. The monitoring that you have once Chemotherapy has finished can vary depending on the health authority which you are under but you will probably be moved onto 3 monthly PSA testing as this will be the main way of checking that everything is still under control. A scan at the end of chemotherapy is useful to check the status of the cancer but not every authority does this. As for future scans, again it depends on your authority and is something you will need to check out with your oncologist. As you have advanced prostate cancer I would expect you to continue with the 6 monthly injections plus Darolutamide for as long as it continues to keep the cancer under control or until you no longer tolerate it. As to further treatment such as radiotherapy then this is another question for your oncologist. I am sorry if this sounds a bit vague but each persons cancer is treated individually based on their own risk factors. Darolutamide is one of the newest drugs being evaluated but has shown good tolerability and effectiveness to date with a longer time until progression (up to 8 years so far) but how long it works for each individual is variable hence regular PSA monitoring. If the PSA starts to rise then the reason for it will be investigated with scans and dealt with at the time. Please keep us updated on your progress and I hope you haven't suffered too much with side effects from the chemo.

• Hello again  

Great news about the PSA and it looks like the Chemotherapy has gone down OK.  I agree with  and that one's treatment plan is down to your individual circumstances so it's up to your team what the next step will be.

I must say since you had the misfortune to join us late last year you have come on in leaps and bounds with your treatment. It's great that you keep posting because your journey is unique to you but it will inspire others who are just starting out that this cancer can be treated.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Skippy.                                                                                        Great news that your doing great xxx

• You are doing so well and a great PSA result. After my husband completed his chemo I asked about another scan and the oncologist said there was no need as the PSA is the test they look at. Apparently Thumbsupprostate cancer is the only cancer where they don't re scan. Try telling the travel insurance companies that. We continue on daily daralutamide tablets, hormone injections every 12 weeks plus a PSA.ThumbsupIn a years time we may consider having a scan done privately. Keep up the good work Thumbsup