Re my brachytherapy

• 39 replies
  • 134 subscribers

Hi all , it’s finally happening this Friday , after three cancellations re chest infections, last weeks came back negative, so it’s just a case of getting me through them revolving doors at Leeds st James and get this C out of me , brachytherapy room part one then part two in early June , 

• I am as I spoke to brachytherapy team and they were fantastic with me to say don’t worry we will sort something, main man away till Tuesday , how long can one just have HT injections before they don’t do job anymore 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Hi  .

Sorry that things are postponed again but the team definitely have your best interests at heart.

To answer your question on the injections, provided you have them at the recommended frequency you are looking at them working for years. If you have an aggressive cancer then the timescale is shorter.

• Cheers 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Hi Jonnymac22

I'm very sorry to hear that your appointment has been cancelled again!!!

Yes I have had a permanent catheter for a number of years following damage to my bladder after a Stroke.

My Prostate Cancer wasn't picked up until it was Terminal unfortunately. 

I'm constantly getting infectious and having to have antibiotics after antibiotics to put a lid on things.

My current treatment plan is Hormone Therapy which has brought my PSA down from 1000+ to 0.9 "crazy"

Prostate Worrier.

• Oh no!  That’s so frustrating!  Hopefully your consultant will persevere and you’ll get brachytherapy in the end ….  I do hope so, because it would be ideal for your circumstances.   AW

• Your a warrior defo mate , thanks for your repl 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Think I’ll have to try change Leeds mind and I want this brachytherapy without radiotherapy, even if as they say I could have  to go on the breathing machine for a few days , and rec infection for the catheter , just have some antibiotics after it’s out and if positive then feed me some antibiotics, but not holding my breath ( no pun intended) 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Hi Jonny mac.

No probs my friend please let me know if there is anything else that I can help/support you with???

Prostate Worrier.

• The man in the bed next to mine in Addenbrookes hospital recovery ward had had brachytherapy seeds inserted (LDR brachytherapy) without hormone therapy and he, like me, was in and out as a day case. The catheter is removed during the operation (right at the end of the op, obviously) whilst the patient is still asleep under general anaesthetic. Antibiotics would be used if there was any infection (but unlikely to be necessary after an operation in a clean operating theatre). 
    I changed NHS hospital from Peterborough to Addenbrookes because Peterborough doesn’t do brachytherapy operations.    AW