Blood glucose levels

• 7 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Has anyone else had problems stabilising their glucose levels. I was given Cyproterone to help with the excessive hot sweats and glucose levels shot up. Stopped and now bg is dropping out in mid afternoons. 
just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. 
profile updated today 

• Hi Magley.

Great news that you radiotherapy has finished. Just a question on your glucose levels - are you still taking Fybergel and if so when? There is some evidence that this can affect glucose levels for diabetic and pre diabetic patients.

• Hi Alwayshope, yes I am still taking the fibregel. Thanks for the heads up I’ll look into it. 
    mat the moment I still need to take it otherwise I won’t be able to do anything if you know what I mean. 
    I seem to start the day about 8.7 then before lunch 7.4. The is stays the same until mid afternoon and then drops to below 5,2 and I start sweating and feeling rough. After the evening meal it stay low and repeat the next day. Been a T2 for about 16 years but never had this type of problem. 
    thanks for the heads up again. 

• Hi Eric.

Why not see if you can be referred to a dietician to try and get your gut biome into a good balance so that you don't need the fibregel. Very often it is a case of making small adjustments which can have a big impact such as adding a probiotic like Greek yoghurt or ensuring that you have sufficient non soluble Vs soluble fibre in the diet. Increasing fluids can also help.

• I have had another thought as your blood glucose is dipping mid afternoon. This is a common phenomenon but it shouldn't drop to the level you are experiencing. From a diet point of view, about 3 hours after lunch, why not have something like a peanut butter sandwich with wholemeal bread - this will give you protein, fat and slow release carbohydrate which should boost your blood sugar. Avoid sugary cakes as they will only give you an immediate short term sugar boost and won't help the waistline. The other thing is exercise - isn't it always. The other trick is to eat little and often rather than just 3 meals a day.

• Hi there, I walk about 2 miles a day with my dogs and have changed my diet and lifestyle very little over the past few years but this sudden change in my BG readings has got me flummoxed. It seems to have been since I started and stopped the Cyproterone. I think it may have disturbed my system so am trying to keep to my old routine before changing to see if it settles down again. I see my oncologist on 10th June so not long to go. 
    thanks for your thoughts though. Onwards and upwards. 

• Hi Eric.

The Cyproterone can impair carbohydrate metabolism with a tendency to increase blood sugar levels. That, with the Fybergel could have upset the system which probably needs getting back in to balance. Good luck with the oncologist on the 10th June and let us know how you get on.

• Hello Magly,I’m type2 diabetic and it’s a juggling act trying to steady things as if we didn’t have enough going on,I think your doing everything right so keep plugging away xxx