End of Radiotherapy

• 12 replies
  • 124 subscribers

Radiotherapy completed and a big thank you to all at the Rosemere Cancer Treatment Centre at Preston Royal Hospital. 
next battle is to get my blood sugar levels down and get fitness back up. Taking a bit longer to walk the dogs than at the start of treatment. 
The way I look at the situation is that I will be around for a while longer than I would have been if I hadn’t bothered to go to the doctor at the start of having symptoms. 

• Brilliant news  . I think we can all say it big thank you to our respective radiology teams. Take a gradual approach to getting fitter and hope you can sort out your blood sugar levels. It is a bit of a strange time after treatment finishes as suddenly there is no routine. Come back with any concerns or if you just want a chat. Keep us up to date on your progress.

• Will do I think there will be a bit of an hiatus from the end of the RT and next meeting with the oncologist. But we have a holiday booked in seven weeks and are looking forward again after putting things on hold for a bit. 

• Hi Eric ( ),  congrats on getting through the RT.  It really feels like it goes on for ever (mind you I had 37 sessions).  Your approach to fitness I think is quite right and hopefully you will increase stamina gradually.  My suggestion would be to listen to your body and don’t over push yourself.  Good luck on the next phase of your journey. David

• That’s the way we are playing it. I intend to get going slowly. As you say I was lucky only having 20 fractions the fatigue kicked in close to the end. 
    good luck with your owner journey. 

• Cracking news   - you will feel in a bit of a wilderness now with no appointments but a holiday and working to reduce the fatigue will keep you busy. It's an amazing day here in deepest Lancashire  (well Oldham!!)- I have already been out with my dogs to take some rays - enjoy life.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian, the day started good over but is now clouded over. Managed to get my dogs out while it was still sunny. 
    I have plenty of stuff to do in the garden so will be able to sit down when I want. 
    Take care and onwards and upwards 

Eric

• Magly, Congrats from me also for completing your Radiotherapy treatment.

I know it took me a while to get over the fatigue, I lived only a 5 minute walk from work but it was taking me a good 30 minutes to walk it.

Bet you are glad you went to the doctor's now!

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi Steve, the fatigue has really kicked in. My legs have started developing numb patches and my neck, I broke it in 1971 is stiffening up. Spoke to the cancer team at the local hospital and they weren’t too helpful saying that it was only a week since finishing the RT and I was at the peak of the side effects that sometimes develop. I’ll give it till after the next weekend and still as bad I’ll call my oncologist. 

• Hi Magly, you might get some good tips from this forum.

The one thing that kept me going was my sense of humour.  I would walk past a care home on my way to work.  The old dears would stop and help me over the road.

I used to be overtaken by tortoises, but I wouldn't give in.

Of course it didn't help that I needed the toilet all the time, that made my steps even smaller.

You'll get there, it just might take some time.

Do you have a Maggie's centre near you?  My local one in Newcastle has a Prostate Cancer Support Group every month, last week there were about 18 of us there.

Mostly in different stages of treatment.  If you get a chance, give one a try.

Steve (SteveCam)

• I still take the dogs out every day in between toilet stops. I think that one has to have a sensor of humour to get through this. Mine is slightly warped so I should be okay. Onwards and upwards.