Question about testing and waiting

• 17 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hello everyone

I’ve posted in the group before when my father in law was diagnosed last year-surgery done and dusted- but I’ve got another question, just not about him this time! 

This time it’s my ex, and I have very limited information as he feels he shouldn’t be bothering me with this sort of stuff. He has messaged me today and I’m sure is trying to play things down but I thought I’d ask for your thoughts. He is 61 and he did confirm he’s had a prostate biopsy. I assume this might be some time ago, but due to my own issues with various things in the last year and having had cancer myself he’s kept things to himself. He hasn’t actually said to me he has prostate cancer.

What he did say was that he had the biopsy, it was contained, and his psa was 8. No action required, but blood tests every 3 months and if the number reaches 10 he’ll need to go and see about it. 

Does this sound right? I know plenty about my own cancer but nothing much about the prostate! Using the word “contained” suggests to me that yes, he has cancer, but it has not gone beyond the gland. I am hearing some things secondhand from my daughters and they used the words “borderline cancer”. To me it either is or it isn’t but I wonder if he is trying not to worry them since I’ve had my cancer to deal with?

I’d appreciate, once again, some guidance/thoughts please. Many thanks.

Sarah xx (community champ in the cervical cancer group)

• Hello Sarah

There is a thread somewhere that describes the Community Members on the Prostate Forum as  "my flock". I did let it slip that Mrs Millibob was walking past me on the laptop, noticed the green colour and asked "You tending to your flock" and it's stuck.

They are a great bunch though and a fantastic help in making life as a Community Champion quite easy on here - we have the odd digression from the Community Guidelines and I have been called either "The Macmillan Police" or "Woke" but hey - ho!! Rofl.

So the next installment in you Prostate Cancer education is "How Prostate Cancer is Diagnosed" and the link is here.

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/how-prostate-cancer-is-diagnosed

Let's hope you don't need this one!!

Kind Regards - Brian. xx

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Always happy to help Sarah PS your the only person i know on the community, apart from myself who can't have a general anaesthetic. take care.

Eddie xx

• I can now as it happens! 

I was due to have one the day after a pulmonary embolism, but obviously that was impossible due to the risk.

But since that time I’ve had 4 different types of surgery ranging from minor to major and had general anaesthetics for all of them. Very glad I was able to. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• I have seen reference to your “flock” Brian, and it’s a rather nice way of describing the group! 

It’s a very active group, which I noticed before on my visit, and it certainly has shown me once again today that members are very kind in offering their experience and knowledge so quickly and willingly to the uninitiated! 

As I mentioned, I found the guide on your link very informative and will continue with the next instalment! I have admitted on my own profile that I buried my head in the sand prior to my diagnosis and thus made life more difficult for myself. I expect my ex husband might be similar and it might be useful for me to have some information that I can share with him to enable him to ask questions at least and clarify things.

I may or may not have a need to return, but appreciate the help I’ve received today from everyone. Many thanks for being such a supportive group.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah, that's great to hear, I know it would make a difference to my situation. Have a tumour on my rectum which wouldn't be an issue if i was ok with anaesthetics, and needs removing, but unfortunately even with a mild epidural there is a 100% chance of my heart stopping and a 25% chance it won't start again. I have done ACT and CBT and many relaxation therapy courses and i can manage pain really well and would be ok having it done with no anaesthetic they are reluctant, best wishes.

Eddie

• I think it’s incredible that you can manage pain well through the techniques you’ve learned, and to be even thinking of undergoing any surgery without an anaesthetic. I even had a general for a biopsy! 

I had an epidural in addition to my general anaesthetic for my most major surgery, but it unfortunately failed and leaked out so I was glad I wasn’t relying on that! 

My father in law also has issues with his heart which made some treatment options not available-for example chemotherapy. He was cleared to have his prostate and bladder removal but it came with major risks. He was due to have a large hernia repaired during his surgery but stopped breathing on the operating table so that part of the op had to be curtailed without being finished. He’s now been told he needs surgery on his heart this year, but his recovery so far from the bladder and prostate removal has been difficult, so we are not sure whether he will be strong enough to cope with the heart surgery. It seems one thing is resolved and something else comes up! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Hi Sarah, have talked to the surgeon and procedure is pretty close to keyhole surgery, so nothing unfamiliar to me. Sorry to hear about your father in law, I hope he gets strong enough for when heart surgery is needed though like him chemo is not for me, the toxins it releases into the blood would be too much for my heart, take care.

Eddie