Pirads 5 after MRI

• 8 replies
  • 123 subscribers

I'm on a journey. After experiencing some degree of nocturia for some time I approached the GP. I had a DRE which found my prostate to be smooth and Initial PSA in late December. was 5.99 going down to 5.5 a month later and subsequently up to 6.25  after a further month. This finally triggered a fast track referral to the local urology department. It felt like the initial DRE seemed to have triggered more acute urological symptoms of frequency and urgency alongside the regular waking in the night. I felt lucky to get a cancellation with urology and was seen within 2 weeks of the referral. 

I was retaining urine and a further DRE was felt to show a benign prostate with a degree of enlargement and inflammation. I was treated for prostatisis with 2 weeks of antibiotics and commenced on Tamulosin.  There were some positive charges but my symptoms got worse again when the course finished. My PSA was up to 8 when repeated and I had a MRI scan which has shown 2 lesions one a 2 the other a 5 and am now going to have a biopsy. 

Being a 5, I'm definitely very worried. 62 and loving life! I know I have to wait for the biopsy but need to share. My wife is incredibly supportive and I know I need to be positive but it's not always easy. 

I have an ache in the pubis area which did resolve when taking the antibiotics but has now returned. I'm conscious everyone here has a journey and I take comfort in sharing mine. Thank you.

• Hi  , sorry you have joined our club.  Following your PIRADS 5 it is likely that PCa will be found but with your other symptoms that may not be definite. Unfortunately a biopsy is required to identify exactly what is going on and if PCa then how aggressive it is.  
    You are young and that is definitely in your favour.  Waiting is the hardest part but you have no reason to think that you cannot be cured, so try and enjoy life and stay positive.  I am sure others will be along, but take heart from the numbers of guys on here who have had a really bad prognosis at the start and are still around years later and enjoying life.  Please feel free to ask any questions. Best wishes to you both.  David

• Hi Ras

Just wondering one thing.

U say 2 lesions  2 and 5.   I presume that is Pirads 5  and not  size in mm?

always handy to know the size because if smallish then unlikely to have spread and more easily treatable

Steve

• It's been described as a Pirads 5. The other a Pirads 2 which they would likely not biopsy if the other weren't present. 

• Yes. The waiting is the hardest. You just want to know what's going on. Thank you David. Robert 

• PSA quite low and I assume any tumour confined to the gland so potentially curable

So after biopsy assuming it be PC you'll be started on a treatment plan.

I know it's the waiting that's the worst part but it does look like a low key affair.

Best wishes 

Steve

• Hello   - Another warm welcome to the online Prostate Community - we aren't a bad bunch!  The first post by  has stolen my thunder as I totally agree with his post.

I will just add a link to Prostate Cancer UK's splendid  booklet "How Prostate Cancer is Diagnosed".

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/how-prostate-cancer-is-diagnosed

I do hope reading this eases your worries as a positive attitude and family support is half the battle.

If I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi RAS:  I was similar to you- When they told me PIRADS 5, I thought my world was crashing down. However, I went through the diagnosis (made friends with every medical secretary/ booking person I could and politely pushed for any cancellation for biopsy (and got one). I went on to consider all options and started my treatment within the NHS guidelines.  Check out my bio (and main thread if you have lots of time to read it!).  AW

• Thank you so much that my friend. Had a read through your story as well. You have definitely been on a journey! I have it in mind to chase them for biopsy appointment and ring them tomorrow. 

I have taken great comfort from replies. It really helps. Robert.