PSA doubling time after RALP I'm worried

• 32 replies
  • 137 subscribers

Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I have been reading posts and advice here for around 6 months and could do with some people's thoughts on my current situation. 

Firstly,  a summary of my journey so far.

APRIL 2023 seen my GP as was having a weak urine stream for years but didn't think it was a problem. I'm 51 now. PSA was 3.17 and DRE was abnormal - no lumps felt but quite firm.

MAY 2023 seen urologist and DRE done again and referred for MRI

JUNE 2023 MRI done. 2cm tumour on LHS and very slight break out at edge of capsule into neurovascular bundle. Lymph nodes and seminal vessicles clear. Also there was a tiny dot on RH femur which was indeterminate. Urologist and radiographer felt not bone cancer metastasis but referred for bone scan for completeness. Also referred for biopsy.

JULY 2023 had biopsy and nuclear bone scan.

AUGUST 2023 bone scan clear.

SEPTEMBER 2023 Biopsy results were grade 2 gleason 3 + 4. Cores had 5 out of 27 with cancer. Advised possible PT3A. Offered radiotherapy or RARP. Advised with age and size of tumour probably better to have surgery and I wanted surgery to get the root of the problem out.

NOV 1st 2023 Surgery with nerve spared on one side.

Jan 2nd 2024 results of pathology on prostate and 1st post surgery PSA test. PSA was 0.1 which was 9 weeks from surgery. Pathology showed positive margins as bladder neck and also at bases of seminal vesicles. Still grade 2 and gleason 3 + 4 but upgraded to PT3B due to microscopic cells found at margins. Referred to oncologist

Feb 2nd 2024 meeting with oncologist. PSA done at 13 weeks and up to 0.15. Oncologist said too early to be sure cancer was still there. He said that would not advise doing anything until PSA reaches 0.4 or rises 4 times consecutively. He also wanted to wait until May for an MRI on the bone again as he wanted to rule that out as a cancer spot so that right treatment can be offered if required. He said the bone scan would not have picked anything up on the bone as it was so small and they seemed to believe it was a bone island and unlikely to be cancer. His advice was to wait and watch the PSA and have the scan. I was referred back to urology again

March 15th 2024. After pleading nurse not to wait 3 months for another PSA test I had one is 6 weeks on March 15th which is week 19 from surgery. PSA up again from 0.15 to 0.22. Seems to be moving 0.01 per week? Nurse is sending a letter back to oncologist to see me again.

I am no expert but think I should push for MRI and PSMA pet scan in April and think I should get radiotherapy to kill off any residual cells left. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. Its 1 yr today from My GP meeting and I don't want another 6 months of waiting and worrying as it's taking a toll on me and my family. Thanks.

• Thanks Steve,

It's the waiting and watching a fast rising PSA that has cemented the decision to proceed with salvage radiotherapy while my psa is low.

The 50/50 cure chance is based on the possibility other cells may have moved outside the prostate area. However with the pathology high risk features and positive margins, I am pretty sure there are microscopic cells there to be zapped.

There are other treatment options further down the line shouldn't need them.....fingers crossed this gets them.

Planning appointment for RT 2moro and getting my first ever tatoos to mark for the laser so I have one up on my kids now lol

• Hi Onestepforwards,

Yes I agree with  you should definitely have that conversation, the PSMA PET SCAN seems to be the one to have atm. It would be good to know when you should have it and at what numbers. I've had that chat with my partners Consultant and he said when PSA gets to .1 he will have a PSMA PET and if they find anything it will be targeted with RT.  Partner is having a strong combo of HT which is supposed to be holding things down so maybe in his case .1 denotes change? Are you having HT? I guess that's a different set of rules and numbers if you are not, anyway nothing is lost by having that conversation.

*Well I'm guilty of not reading the whole thread, so ignore .but at the same time useful for someone on HT 

LSlight smile 

• Now looking at your update and YES! definitely have RT now. Hopefully it will clear it up nicely.

Best wishes

L

• Hi ,

I didn’t have surgery, so not quite the same , however raising PSA causes anxiety and concerns .

My PSA has gone from 0.34 to 5.12 over 14 months , I have had 2 pmsa scans which have been clear , so I hope this helps as it doesn’t always mean the worst. I have a blood test at the end of May so I want it to finally stabilise.

i wish you all the best moving forward.

Tony

• Hi  

Please take a moment to review my profile, where you'll find a detailed account of my journey. In January 2022, I underwent surgery, followed by radiation and hormone therapy eight months later. Despite my PSA not reaching 0.4 and above, my medical team proceeded with treatment. 

Unfortunately, six months after radiation, my PSA began to climb once more. A recent PSMA PET Scan at 0.23 revealed no detectable abnormalities. I am scheduled for a follow-up at the end of June. Should my PSA exceed 0.4, another PSMA PET scan will be conducted.

I understand the uncertainty and concern you may be experiencing, as we all seek answers and solutions in the face of this complex disease. While PSMA PET scans may not be ideal, they are crucial for pinpointing cancer hotspots. I know it may be difficult to wait for your PSA to increase, I am in that boat at the moment, but I feel they need to see where the abnormalities lie to deliver a targeted curative solution. The question is that if they do another PSMA PET scan today and it is clear, what is the the treatment plan? This was the position I was in, my Oncologist treated me based on what he felt was most likely causing the PSA increase. It did bring me massive comfort. I still believe I will be cured despite my PSA climbing again.

The message I am trying to get across is:

• Don't panic or overthink the increase, you have time - Stress is not your friend.
    • Get ample sleep, exercise, and eat healthy - these things are very important.
    • Stay strong and Believe that you will be cured, don't read to much on google and in the Statistics.
    • It is your life and your body, put your mind at ease. If you feel that a PSMA PET scan is right for you now then get it done.
    • You are not alone in this.

All of the best

Kind Regards

Munster

• Hello  

Thank you for such a supportive post - I love your positive attitude and the 5 bullet points at the end. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Best wishes - Brian,

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks Munster,

Your 5 rules of life are inspiring and I will be using them on the 'down days'. I'm doing the Macmillan mighty hike on Irelands North Coast on June 22nd. 26 miles. This is a great motivation for me and raising money for this charity at the same time.

I'm down for Salvage radiotherapy planning appointment today and I'm going to ask the clinical team about PET scan again. My PSA never went undetectable after surgery and my surgeon said there is cancer cells invaded into my bladder neck so I'm hoping getting this area zapped will sort that. However, if PSA starts to climb again I will be getting a PET scan done straight away. If I can get one done now, I'm going to do that too.

Thanks for the advice mate and taking the time to respond to me. It is very much appreciated and I wish u the best of luck on your journey tooBlush

• Based upon the history that you have provided, I think I would have made the same decision.  However, given that you have been re-graded T3b (aggressive traits), have you discussed whether the salvage radiation will be prostate bed only, or whole pelvic area (probably up to L5 lumbar) to cover the additional lymph nodes?  The side effects are only marginally more if this extended area is covered. See my bio for more info (although I did not have RALP, I had brachytherapy, which, in a way, mimics it).  AW

• Oh, and if they go down the RT route, I expect that they would propose adjunct HT.     AW

• Thanks Tony,

Yes, I agree and I am very lucky.....there are a lot of people worse off than me. I'm fit, healthy and relative youth on my side (51).

I hope they can pinpoint your source soon and eradicate it. It all comes down to trusting your team I suppose.

Cheers