Happy Easter

• 7 replies
  • 121 subscribers

Hello all you lovely people. I haven’t  been here for quite a few weeks as I was struggling with everything and exhausted. Hubby finished his 20 day course of radiotherapy just before Christmas Eve and all went well. Just 12 weekly Prostap injections and Abiraterone until next July. We were told at the start of treatments it was a curative path. He is back at work following a phased return but is in bed every night about 6 pm and asleep within minutes. He is always tired and it gets him down but I’m sure it takes time to recover from radiotherapy and the hormone treatment makes him tired anyway.  The only downside is that we see the Consultant every three months to pick up three month supply of Abiraterone as GP doesn’t prescribe and he gets a review with bloods etc. and at last visit the Consultant said “you won’t mind me being frank and went on to say that due to his high PSA, it was 252 at diagnosis, now 4, there is a high probability of recurrence.  I guess we won’t know until next year when he stops Prostap and Abiraterone, which feels like a sword hanging over your head, BUT, i guess one day  at a time and enjoy every day you can is the best way forward and the worst is behind us at the moment. You have all been so helpful and supportive and I wanted to wish you all a Happy Easter break and that you get to enjoy it xxx

Linda 

• Hi  ,  sorry to hear that your husband is still very fatigued, but RT and HT can hit you hard and together with him working I think it is not unusual.  Is he doing manual work, if so, totally understandable.

As for any reoccurrence, don’t worry.  Make the most of the time now and take heart from some of us on non curative pathways who are still going after years.  New tests, drugs and treatments are coming out all the time.   None of us know how long we have got (even the ones without cancer!) so enjoy life and stay positive.  Best wishes to you both,  David

• Hello ( ) Linda

Thank you so much for your update. considering his diagnosis and treatment, he doing fantastic. The HT/RT combination not only changes your body it changes the way you think, the way you move and it causes fatigue.

It's also a "couples cancer' so it affects you too!!. I appreciate it's taken it out on you both, there is support if you give our helpline a ring on 0808 808 00 00. Of course we as a Community are always around to offer support too.

Again, it's great to hear from you.. Please keep us posted and may you and your husband and family have a great Easter too,

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you so much David, yes he was in a manual job driving a forklift but his work have been very supportive and given him an office job doing computer work. I take heart from your comments and you’re right what’s the point in wasting valuable time worrying about what if? It just was a shock I guess but we are both trying to stay positive.  I hope you continue to stay well for many years to come.

Kind regards

Linda

• Thanks Brian, I guess it all just caught up with me but I’ve been lurking around in the background and still enjoying your wit and positivity. You really are a true Champion!

Regards

Linda

• Hi Linda sorry to hear your hubby is very fatigued but at least the RT over for now,I’ve still got that to come,just enjoy time with each other and also take time for yourself as it takes its toll on the partner as well give him my best xx

• Hi Robert,
    We are from Scotland too, just outside Edinburgh.  Thank you for your kind words. My husband had no problems with the radiotherapy at all, the worst part was travelling to the Western every day. My hubby is gleason 3 +4 =7 too but with hotspot on pelvic lymph nodes but they radiated that too. Good luck with radiotherapy my husband was dreading it and was relieved it went without a hitch. 

Regards

Linda

• Hi Linda We stay in Oban but previously stayed in Edinburgh as my Wife’s from there,I’ll be going to the Beatson for my treatment,we’re away on a cruise for a week in 3 weeks so hopefully get some news about treatment when I come back as I’ve an appointment on the 24th April,I think the waiting is the worst as we’re thinking about it constantly,happy Easter