Weight gain when taking hormone Injections and tablets

• 6 replies
  • 124 subscribers

Hi Everyone.

I am gaining weight since taking the hormone Injections and tablets. Is this common when having this treatment. At the moment my body is very weak and fatigued so exercise I can't do. Can the doctors give you anything to counter the weight gain while taking the hormone treatment. Any advice will be appreciated.

• Hello  

Tell me about it - weight gain and Hormone Therapy - I did 18 months before it got to me and the more I walk now the more my weight piles on. I try and walk 10000 steps a day but - to no effect. I have spoken to the diabetic nurse and the GP. Both have been very understanding and although I have been offered the weight loss injections - both agree that it will come off once I have completed HT.

I on a personal basis have agreed to be pointed  to the NHS weight management scheme but everyone agrees it's a "tick box" issue and I should get back to normal after HT. I have tried to reduce what I eat and drink and also tried to be good - no snacks etc.

All I can say is have a word with your GP/Team and ask them for extra support. - it's not easy and you are by no means on your own. There is also you do need a certain quality of life.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi  , unfortunately Brian has hit the nail on the head.  Weight gain is a byproduct of HT.  I was a fit 67 year old at the start of HT and the treatment making you fatigued goes against keeping fit.  My suggestions are to watch what you eat (and drink) and try to exercise as much as you are able (but listen to your body).  In 7 years I have added 7 pounds but it isn’t easy and I try really hard.  Sadly, if you are gaining weight and you don’t want to increase, it is a balance of activity and intake of food and drink.  Sorry not to be able to provide a more palatable answer.  Good luck, David

• I've only been on HT since 27th September but just like others I can only confirm that weight gain seems to be a feature of the therapy. I have put on about half a stone up to now and I am trying to limit the food intake, especially the sweet treats, crisps etc. Pre HT I was trying hard to get below 14 stone but now I'm over 14 and a half stone

Fatigue wise I don't notice much change although it's not too dificult to sleep in the chair after lunch! I'm getting some work done on a new motor home with the hope of getting away on holiday spuring me on although it's all treatment dependent.

My PC timeline is in my profile, click my avatar.

• Thank you everyone for your replies. I am on triple cancer treatment consisting of chemotherapy, hormone Injections and tablets. All my energy has gone and body feels weak so hoping I can rided out with the chemotherapy as I have just 2 left. The chemo knocks you side ways and your body feels so weak. When the chemo finishes I can then start doing exercise and try to get a routine back. Does anyone know if there's anything the doctor can prescribe to counter the weight gain.

• Does anyone know if there's anything the doctor can prescribe to counter the weight gain

There probably is but do you really want to add another medication to your current regimen?

On a more positive note, I was up to 86kg when I had my last hormone injection in June 2021 and,after careful eating and lots of exercise I am down to 77kg. I'll be 77 this year and hope to be older in years than my weight in kg very soon!

Please also be aware that the hormone injections can lead to a substantial increase in you HbA1C levels possibly pushing you into Type 2 Diabetes. Mine went up to 54 in 2021 but is now back down to 43. I still have trouble trying to convince my GP that it was the HT injections causing it.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Hi again Ash319 in my previous post I hadn’t twigged you were on chemo.  I think during the treatment you need to focus on getting through to the end and not worrying about weight gain, just try and eat well.  Once you are through it, then start to focus on weight and fitness.  Good luck with your last two sessions, you are doing well.   David