7 Days post TWOC - Getting better

• 20 replies
  • 124 subscribers
Just a quick update for the surgery route guys:
Now 7 days after catheter removal, big positive difference and have much better control over waterworks. A bit disappointed that I’m still producing the odd spurt for no reason and still sometimes lose a bit when getting up/down from chair, coughing etc. Confident that the pelvic floor exercises will help. 
Little fella still reluctant to return to size except when showering - can start using pump in a week which may help.
Currently have urine infection (unsurprisingly) and have antibiotics to fix.
Went through last night for the first time since the op without night sweats which was wonderful. 
Overall I’m very pleased with progress despite the odd setback.
I can confidently be out for a couple of hours, am walking further and know when I need to pee without any urgency. 
Lastly, sending best wishes to my forum friend Sight for sore eyes who has his op tomorrow. 
  • It really good to hear the surgery went well and you up and walking . I wish you a speedy recovery .I am sure I will be back with more questions as my date for the opp gets nearer .

• Have you been given a date? My brain is foggy with anaesthesia.  I am sure either Amnesiac or myself or indeed other contributors will be happy to advise. Do not hesitate 

• No date yet , had bone scan today and another meeting with consultant next week . 

• Ok. Hopefully soon after Consultant visit. 

• Eh up - Glad all went well and you are on the start of your recovery - I wish you well - braver than I as I am a wimp and would have said no to surgery (although I managed a TURP).

Keep us posted and here's to being back at home - it's a great feeling that getting out of hospital and saying thanks to everyone - but there's nothing like home.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Amnesiac, and Sight for sore eyes, and others,

I had robotic prostatectomy surgery four years ago. My one piece of advice is the need to take things easy with regard to physical activity for at least 3 or 4 weeks after surgery. The fact that you only have small scars can be deceptive, it is a major operation. I overdid things, tried to act "normally' too soon, and suffered for it.

However, I want to wish everyone going down the surgery route right now all the very best for a good recovery. The road ahead may not be straightforward all the time, but you are definitely on the right road!

All the best

Angus

• Hi Angus

It certainly is a major surgery and I will take that advice on board. Thank you and I hope you are doing well. I am going home today after surgery on Wednesday.   Sight

• Hi Angus. Thanks for the good advice. Can I ask how you are 4 years down the road? Any more advice for us newbies?  I’m now 3 weeks post op and taking things steady. Pushing a very light trolley round the supermarket yesterday was surprisingly tiring and caused a bit of soreness. I guess mowing the lawn is another couple of weeks off. 
    And Sight. Just rest up for a while. You may already know this but use a small plastic bag over your foot to help get your socks on. Oh and no pelvic floors with catheter in. Looking forward to hearing your progress on a new thread :) 

• Hi Amnesiac,

Everyone has a different story. My story might not be the most encouraging for "newbies", as I have had some issues, some of which are still going on.

The general advice I would give is listen to your medical team, ask lots of questions, and don't hesitate to ask for help.

Remember also that having prostate surgery can affect aspects of your life that most men don't usually want to talk about. That includes aspects of sexual activity, and the way you feel about yourself as well. Your mental health is just as significant as your physical health, and there's no shame in getting counselling if you need it. (You can talk about those things in places like this online forum by the way.)

My final word of advice is that if you are lucky enough to be surrounded and supported by loving family and friends don't forget to let them know how much you appreciate them.

Best wishes,

Angus

• Okay, thanks Angus. I appreciate your candour and take on board what you are saying. I am lucky to have the love and support I believe I will need to get me/us through this but time will tell. And I do tell them all the time. Best wishes for your ongoing recovery.