Surgery or Radiotherapy? Decision made!

• 399 replies
  • 145 subscribers

Decision made.  I’m pT3a, N0 M0 (see my profile for details ).  My extensive research points to a combo treatment of HT / RT / Brachy (NHS and NICE approved).  MDT met again a couple of days ago and their recommendation (without my input) was the same.  I had a consultation at Addenbrookes yesterday with a top prostatectomy surgeon and he agreed with me that my decision was the best one, as surgery would carry at least a 30% chance of recurrence.  So I collected my prescription on way out!   I took my first bicalutamide tablet taken this morning…..so the treatment is underway. Just over 62 days (NHS target) since GP referral so well done to them after a thorough diagnosis.  I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders with regards to timelines (chasing the NHS, politely!), but I’m under no illusion that the next few months of treatment will present challenges.  My wife and I are a strong team and we intend to take everything in our stride and, hopefully, this curative pathway will prevail.  Here we go…..wish us luck! 

• Wow - That's big - I hope whoever drives it has passed their test and holds at least a CSCS card to get on site!!  Joy.

Don't worry about the side effects - I thought I had got away with it for almost 4 months and then BANG.- You probably had more testosterone than me to lose!!!!!!

They are on the way - trust me.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Ye I keep hoping they are going to swerve me , fingers crossed , but I’m sure we will all have tougher bridges than what we have at mo , but it’s like we all say , we’re bigger than this C word and we all will kick it not touch 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Hi all , as my last txt regarding finally getting some treatment re my Crohn’s etc , Leeds at James doing me brachytherapy soon as they have downgraded my results from T3B to T3A and after asking re my first results on this ie the T3B , I was told it was a typing error !! Bloody eck for five months I’ve been worrying I’m not getting anything other than HT injections then hey presto ! A magic wand , all I got from a doctor on fone other day was  I should be glad it’s a typing error and grateful I can have treatment! Very happy for the upcoming treatment, but mad I got this tying error as if I’d not gone for a second opinion then I wouldn’t have known I could have had treatments, like I said relieved but mad , hope this makes sense 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Hello  Of course it makes sense - it's confirming the spread is only to your lymph nodes as far as I can see - good news.

Keep us posted on the old treatment situation and thanks for the update.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• 2 Nov:  Had my 3 month decapeptyl jab and a PSA / testosterone test, with results on my NHS app 5 Nov.  My PSA is down to 1.4, and testosterone 0.7.  That’s after only one month on decapeptyl, with minimal side effects. Very pleased.

• Very best of luck to you. It warms my heart when people feel better about their situation and we can all celebrate better news. I have learnt so much about myself and cancer since my husband was diagnosed. Wish life could be different but it is what it is and we find ways of coping somehow. X

• Hello   Well that's some good news. The HT is working and the pesky cancer is under control - the question is - any side effects from the HT yet and are you fine with them. I know it's early days yet but I hope you are doing well.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi Brian - still hiking 12 km per day to keep fit & doing isometric exercises for upper body strength. Slight loss of stamina towards the end of a hike tbh. Occasional short lived hot flushes - intriguing and no problem to deal with. Sleeping through the night. BUT - well aware that side effects will probably develop further down the track.  Treatment: LDR brachytherapy 19 December.  RT mid January to mid February. 

• That's great  - keep us posted as to how the Brachytherapy goes - what a cracking Christmas present!!

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Got my pre op date this morning (Addenbrookes have a cool app called “MyChart”). Appointment is 29 Nov so all feeling a bit real now!  Brachy op on 19 Dec.  EBRT planning scan 2 Jan, EBRT starts 16 Jan (46Gy, over 23 factions)