Rising PSA after Salvage Radiation

• 24 replies
  • 127 subscribers

17 Months ago I had a Robotic Prostatectomy done. PSA after procedure was 0.06.Three months later it was 0.16. Due to my age and pathology report I was referred to an oncologist. Gleeson 8 Stage 3a. 

Salvage radiation followed in September 2022 with 35 sessions on my prostate bed and lymph nodes combined with Luprin over 6 months. By March this year my PSA dropped to 0.009 and Testosterone below 1. Six months later and my PSA has increased to 0.086 and my Testosterone to 18. 
My next blood test is in 3 months time.

Has anyone else walked down this road? What is the likelihood that my PSA will come down naturally? As I understand it PSA should not climb after all the work done without a prostate, indicating cancer somewhere.

Kind Regards

Munster

• Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you  I have not seen them. Will spend a bit of time going through them over the next few days. They look really comprehensive.

Kind Regards 

Munster

• Good Morning  

It's no problem - they have a very comprehensive range of free booklets and information and I find them really good.

When I was first diagnosed I think I read everything they printed in my thirst for information.

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi Munster.

My husband has been going through increased PSA cycles, although he has not had a prostatectomy as he was not eligible. He is working his way through a range of treatments but still going strong. Can I add a little more reading relating to PSMA PET scans. You say you have been booked in for another PET scan but do you know if it is PSMA PET scan. Your PSA is still low so you need a technique which is more sensitive at picking up these low levels otherwise you could get false negatives.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6142859/

• Hi  

I am booked in for a PSMA PET scan and another blood test on the 19th of March.

Kind Regards 

Munster

• Hi All,

The good news is that my PSMA PET Scan did not pick anything at a PSA level of 0.23 despite 4 consecutive increases. 

6-Mar-23 5-Sep-23 5-Dec-23 13-Feb-24 19-Mar-24
    0.009 0.086 0.14 0.190 0.230

No treatment, with a follow up in 3 months. My oncologist will do another PSMA PET Scan at around 0.4 or 0.5. No idea if any other tests should be done as I have Mixed Dac, Intraductal Carcinoma and Lymphovascular invasion. Either way, I will see this as a positive and kick the can down the road.

Any thoughts on the above results?

Kind Regards

Munster

• Hi Munster

My first thought was great - nothing on the scan - my second thought was those rises in your PSA although rises are tiny - it's time to forget about them and get on with life.

As long as you and your team are happy then you are good to go - PSA isn't always done at the same lab under the same conditions and were you doing anything in the 48 hours before your tests? Riding a bike, hill walking, sex - there's so much that can affect your readings.

Carry on sir - you are doing fine.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hi Munster,  great news about the scan.  PSA rise is not so good, still at a fairly low base but exponential rises are not brilliant.  Totally agree with Brian, just forget the rise and get on with enjoying life.  Easily said and I have my next oncologist appointment in two weeks time!  Best of luck,  David

• Agree with what's already been said, leave it for now, still very low but obviously keep your eye on it but I am sure they will keep doing the scans etc.

All the best

Steve 

• Hi Brian,

Thank you for the reply. I feel good about the PSMA PET scan not picking anything up. I have made sure to use the same pathology lab for all of my blood tests. My oncologist is concerned about the PSA trending up. I will see him in three months, he expects the PSA would be closer to 0.4 at that time. He has confirmed that another PSMA PET Scan will be done shortly thereafter.

In the meantime, I am cancer free and will enjoy every moment of that. I am not anxious or worried about what may or may not happen, I focus on and enjoy what I have today.

Kind Regards

Clive