What to wear after surgery

• 10 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hi, I am an OAP. I am due to have keyhole surgery to remove the prostrate. None of the information i have read advises what to wear after the surgery when i am discharged from hospital after the surgery. or how to prepare/dress my self when someone drives me home. How does one dress during the time that the catheter is in? I was told no driving for 6-8 weeks after surgery, is this true or just a guide? I am also concerned that my wife will not manage, any advise will be helpful. 

• Hi Dziadek. I had my op 4 weeks ago. For me, day of op and for a few hours next day I was in a hospital gown. Then I was told to get up and get dressed. That was a bit difficult but achievable. I put on a track suit, pants, hospital stockings and hospital slippers. Was worried  about how I would get from the ward to the waiting car. Hadn't occurred to me that the hosp would arrange a porter to take me in a wheelchair. Wore a dressing gown as well on the way home. Tackling steps and stairs one home was difficult so I chose to sleep downstairs in a comfortable reclining settee. Difficult to get around for the first week but that all changed once catheter was out . Was out walking after one and a half weeks. Good luck.

• Hi Static. Thanks for the info, it helps. Live in a bungalow so lucky no steps. Will have to explain more of this to the wife. Understand that a porter normally take you to the front door to be picked up. Thanks again.

• Hi Dziadek, it is possible to use a leg bag with the catheter. Leg bags have Velcro straps so you can affix the bag to your leg and under your trousers. I would, though, advise elasticated, loose fitting trousers in the early days especially

• Hi Dziadek, it is possible to use a leg bag with the catheter. Leg bags have Velcro straps so you can affix the bag to your leg and under your trousers. I would, though, advise elasticated, loose fitting trousers in the early days especially. I think your hospital will be able to supply you if you ask?

• Hi Worriedwife, Thanks for the info, very useful. Was wondering how the bag would be affixed/worn. Thanks again

• Reading this has been really helpful,  I will looking after my husband after his surgery.  

1. Can I ask, with the catheter, does a nurse check in regularly and when is it removed? 
  • Hi Jackie2022. For me, the catheter was in when I woke from the op. The bag was emptied by a nurse on the day and night of my op. I was shown the day after how to empty the bag and from there on I was on my own with it all until one week later when the catheter was removed by a nurse at urology. I was expecting the removal to be painful but it was not at all. I was really quite surprised. The catheter did make my little man sore. I mentioned this to a few nurses when I was in hospital and then I was given two tubes of an anesthetic lubricating gel which relieved the soreness considerably.. Hope your husband's op and recovery goes well.

• One problem with a catheter is that it can become blocked so you need to visually check periodically  that urine is draining into the bag. If it stops draining you will need a nurse to come and flush it. Also, it’s a good idea to make sure that the outside of the tube where it enters the penis does not get ‘gungey’. Easy to keep clean with wiping regularly with a bit of clean cotton wool soaked in cooled boiled water - my experience of looking after men with catheters but not after removal of prostate and several years after retiring so practices might have changed!

• My husband has asked a question,  hope you can help.

When the catheter is removed,  will he be incontinent, leaking or will he have an urge to wee as usual?

Also, he is asking about pelvic floor exercises, does this help doing them   before or after surgery? 

• Hi Jackie catheter removed he will be incontinent but they will supply  with pads. He should  be doing is pelvic floor exercises now and after prostatectomy good luck and hope all is well