Prostate biopsy-my experience

• 31 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hello all. I have benefited from some of the great advice and comments made by others on this journey. As such, I felt I should share this for anyone who may be facing a prostate biopsy. This was my experience, and obviously will not be the same for others. Still, there may be some benefit. 

My stats: 68, Caucasian, American living in Japan. I had been healthy for years without issue. My PSA rate had fluctuated between 4 and 5 for a year. My urologist did not seem concerned. 

After a rough bike ride, I felt tingling in my groin area, went to a different urologist (part of my challenge here is finding English-speaking doctors). He ordered an MRI; long story short: something "suspicious" was seen. 

This led to my biopsy. I had read a fair amount about what would be a transperineal biopsy. In Japan, it was not a simple in-office procedure, clean-up and then back home. It required a night in the hospital. 

The urologist I dealt with told me I could return to work the day after I had the biopsy. He also said I could return to riding my bike after two weeks. Both of these turned out to be incorrect. 

I was given an anesthetic, injected in my back. The surgeon (I guess that's who he was) was unsuccessful in doing this and had to call an anesthesiologist, who was much better at applying the anesthesia. This, however, did not give me much hope in my surgeon. (I also thought he was too young, but at that point, nothing mattered.)

I was placed in the position, which, as you can imagine, does not show one at one's best. There were two nurses present, who I must say were sympathetic and caring. The surgeon also did his best to explain to me in English what was going to happen. 

As some may know, tiny pieces of tissue from the prostate are taken so it can be determined if there is any cancer. I cannot say I distinctly remember the surgeon saying "22 samples," but that's how many he took. 

Despite this being 2022, when a sample is taken, a loud CLICK was clearly heard. It was extremely disconcerting, but I did my best to blot out the sound. I was awake, but did not feel anything.

The next thing I remember was being taken to a hospital room. Although I paid for a private room (and I must say the room itself was beautiful), it didn't really make that much difference. I was on my back for about 16 hours. I had a catheter in, which I became aware of after the anesthesia wore off. I was not in strong pain, but I was certainly uncomfortable. It was almost impossible to sleep and it just never crossed my mind to ask them to give me a sedative. 

I passed out for a few hours and then a nurse came in to remove my catheter. She YANKED it out and I screamed. It was singularly the worst experience of my life. I cannot imagine that this is how one removes a catheter. She MAY have pulled it out, but it felt like she YANKED it out. It was horrible. 

About an hour later I was able to eat breakfast after that, which I was grateful for. 

Urination that day, and for the next 5 days, was painful and the color was a very unpleasant wine-to-rose. With my partner's help I somehow managed to get home. From that point forward, for at least 5 days, I could not leave the house. The desire to urinate was immediate and I finally bought a urinal, which I used, and which made life a bit easier. 

I did my best to drink 2L of water daily, as the nurse suggested, not realizing how much water that really was. 

The color of my urine finally returned to normal about 10-12 days after the biopsy. The main problem I had was not being able to leave the house for 5 days, and so, to think I could have gone to work the next day was insane. I couldn't go anywhere. (Thank God for Amazon and deliveries.) When I finally ventured out, I made sure to wear padded underwear and I mapped out where all the public restrooms were on my route, and used every single one of them. 

I finally returned to "normal," although I more often than not sit to urinate. 

I don't know if there was any way to get out of doing this and I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy (well, there are a few world leaders I might wish it on). 

I feel fine now, despite knowing that the biopsy did in fact give an indication of cancer. The next step for me is deciding what to do, which I have posted elsewhere.  

For overall advice, I'd say, based on my experience: be crystal clear about when you can realistically return to work, ride a bike, and return to a normal schedule of urinating. I wish I had known these things in advance, hence the desire to share this. 

Be well, all. 

• Dee,

Remind me not to go to Japan for a biopsy!!

The NHS one I had was more uncomfortable than painful.  The only pain was when the anaesthetist sunk his needle into my groin area, twice, one for each side.

Lying there with my legs in stirrups must have been funny to see.  I just kept on waffling on to the nurses.  I had 29 biopsies and 9 contained cancer.

It was just one of those things that had to be done.

After the biopsies I was told that I couldn't leave until I went to the toilet to Pee, and if I couldn't, they'd put a Catheter in.  Just the thought of that made me want to Pee.

For a couple of days there was a little blood in my Pee 

I was back at work the next day, just discomfort and bruising, you know where.

Before I had the biopsies I didn't really know what to expect, it was however for me not as bad as I had thought.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Steve, you have a great sense of humor and I enjoy communicating with you. 

Yes, they gave me a "saddle block" anesthesia, and I'm glad they did, because the thought of them injecting my groin area would have freaked me out. 

I am unclear on how many samples they decide to take. When you say "29 biopsies" -- I think you mean "cores" -- because I'm fairly sure that 29 biopsies would have killed you. 

Once I had been properly anesthetized, I can only assume the procedure went as it was supposed to. Had the nurse not YANKED the catheter out, my "review" would be much higher. 

I cannot imagine you were able to return to work the next day. I'm going to assume you're younger than me. Had I not been near the toilet those first 5 days, it would have been disastrous. 

I'm glad your experience was better. :)

• Hi Dee, I'm pleased my biopsy experience had few similarities to yours.

Mine was done in the local HNS hospital's uroligy, yes flat on my back legs in stirips, 1nurse by my side 2 nurses and the doctor at the bottom, he showed me both the neadle and biopsy removing tool, which he fired so I would be prepared for the noise, a very loud click.

He went in through the bit between my testicals and anus, I never felt a thing, he took 10 biopsies as these were larger pieces than can be taken by a biopsy needle, the clicks made me flinch.

I was provided with a pad and sent home, he said I would probably bleed for a couple of days after, he was right,

The worst bit was when I got home and related the experience to my wife, expecting a bit of sympathy, she just said stop whining us women go through that all the time so man up.

Fabulous!!!!!

All the best Ulls 

• You're a brave man! While no one can argue the hell women go through on a monthly basis with their periods, somehow I do not think the side effects of a prostate biopsy can be compared. You have my full and total sympathy!

Also, had the doctor SHOWED me the needle, I may have passed out (which would have been for the best!). Yes, the CLICK sounds were very unpleasant, but I'd rather listen to them the rest of my life then have the 5 days of frequent (and painful and bloody) urination. 

Anyway, be well! :)

• I missed out that I had an ultra sound divice inserted, which is how the doctor could see where he was getting the samples from, the tv screen was next to my and I watched it all, even I could see where the cancer was, instead of being smooth the prostate looked like an oversized prune, result, Gleason 5+4

• You are a brave man. I don't know that I could have done that. 

• There was no pain, and I found it very interesting, bravery not included 

• I had surgeon, nurse, both fantastic at there roles.

Laid on side in fetal position.

Surgeon lubed and put finger in arse hole

Then put thing like hair brush handle pushed in, think it had ultra sound on it also, loud click for the anticeptic (painful and uncomfortable) 

Then lots little clicks, not as painful, but uncomfortable.

I laid in fetal position and cried, heard my self comforting my self, 'its ok, you'll be ok, it's ok, relax..,...'

Felt degraded, embarrassed, helpless and one of most upsetting experiences I've had.

But after extreemly grateful that it was done and for the surgeon and nurse at time...

Crap Gleason score but necessary 4+5

• Hi Troxly, sorry to see you having so many problems, if you take a look at my profile it might help you, I also have incurable advanced matast prostate cancer Gleason 5+4=9, so understand where you're coming from, being incurable is not the end of life just a new road to travel.

I also post on the incurables group, it can get a bit nuts sometimes but definitely fun, if you're not on it, give it a try, no matter the cancer so long as incurable.

All the best Ulls 

• Yo ulls. 

Also i post that because I'm 49, I'm an alpha or classic caveman, 6.1" and just like to say and show it's ok to be vunrable. It's pretty crap,

But let's appreciate what's on offer when it's available...

Where is the incurables group? Sounds interesting