Gleason 3+4 with low volume pattern 4 - what to do next?

• 5 replies
  • 120 subscribers

I was recently diagnosed  prostate cancer age 58. Had PSA of 8.1 so had Multiparametric MRI and targeted biopsy. 

The surgeon took 21 samples during the biopsy with samples between 5 and 18mm I think.

The results showed that 20 of the samples were benign, in one sample and only in 1mm of that sample they found 30% pattern 4 so I guess 0.3mm of pattern 4, hence the Gleason 3+4

After discussion I have currently opted for Active Surveillance but I am following up focal therapy options including HIFU and nano knife with a well know surgeon.

I just had my PSA checked for the first time under AS, at a different hospital that the first ones, and my PSA seems to have dropped from 8.1 to 4.5 which seems a big drop which I do not understand, does anyone have this experience?

I am interested if anyone else had such low volumes of cancer in their biopsy samples and what they have chosen to do.

• Recommend you research IRE on this website and VITUS and Prof M Emberton 

mum 62 PSA 5/2/22 4.85 rose to 6.6 last week but dropped to 4.5 

I’m off to Germany 10 years ahead equipment and knowledge as it’s my life on the line, read other sections to understand or cancer metastasis then like my neighbor it’s a slow death

you get I life fight for it

• PSA levels can be affected by different activities in the 3 days before your blood sample is taken. I'm also in London where they have Hifu treatments at Chating Cross Hospital. I'm 3+4, 15% of cancer found at biopsy and PSA always around 4 in the last 2 years.. So very similar to you. Been on AS for 3 years and waiting for my next appointment after early June MRI. They just said slight cancer increase so I'm guessing they ll push for treatment. I'm curious if Hifu will be offered or if I'll have to ask to be refer to Charing Cross Hospital for advice.

• Hi Erik appears to be a postcode lottery as I requested Prof M Emberton UCL and saw consultants in PBoro had written to them over 10 weeks ago but no update and NHS PBoro fragmented as many consultant leave as soon as they arrive. All seem not to read previous reports before I attend and look to me to brief them and all want to steer me to there particular expertise. Its a case of shout, demand and manage them as they are managing their positions in a process not focused on patients but KPI budget and numbers for non qualified surgical NHS administrators. hence Im still being passed between hospitals and consultants since 5/3/22 so off to VITUS Germany as my PSA has risen form 5.2 to 6.6 in that time and they are debating if my aggressive cribriform is still the case. Muppets I will deal with them on return

• hi Juddy

Difficult to say why the PSA has dropped so much, it can vary but 50% is a fair drop, could be worth having another one soon just to be sure.

Obviously your stats are quite, low, what did the Mri actually say in terms of tumour size and location within the gland. AS seems a good option at the moment.

Regards

Steve

• PSA is totally unreliable only MRI provides a true indication 

my PSA went 4.85 to 5.2 in 4 days then to 5.9  5 Weeks later then GP surgery did a 4.5 6 weeks ago and last week NHS did another 6.6

either testers not following all processes and protocols as I follow the 48 hours relaxation before each test.

Until UK has holistic 3D MRI scanners PSA only tells you there’s a problem thereafter MRI identified benign or malignant and type.

high numbers slow cancer NHS long term approach (reactive)