Chemotherapy

• 2 replies
  • 118 subscribers

HI

My Dad has had a call today from his oncology nurse to provide an update following a rise in his PSA to 42 and confirmation that he has become hormone-resistant.  The current position is that he needs to have a full CT Scan and bone scan with a view to starting chemotherapy at the end of July or the beginning of August if this is a suitable course of treatment.  This seems like an awfully long time to wait and would like to know if this sounds like a normal timescale.  

Prognosis is not something we want to know but I would appreciate any shared experiences from anybody who is castrate-resistant and on chemo.

My Dad is a strong man and apart from the side effect of HT he is reasonably well so any stories from others on the same journey will possibly help him prepare for what is to come.

Thank you for taking the time to read my request for any advice. x

• Hi

That sounds about right. I was referred for scans in mid April and only started chemo yesterday. Once chemo is confirmed however the lead in time should be about 2 weeks. Is he still staying on Firmagon in the meantime? This will keep his testosterone in check.     

• Hi yes still on Firmagon thankyou for letting me it is much appreciated. I hope all goes well with the chemo