Docetaxel

• 7 replies
  • 121 subscribers

Morning all.

A bit of shared experience please. I was diagnosed March 22 and had a PSA of 229 Gleason 4 + 5 = 9 advanced PC with mets in lymph nodes and lungs. I have had 1 HT injection 4 weeks ago and had my first round of Docetaxel on Wednesday. How soon after your chemo did the side effects kick in?

My PSA has fallen to 38.5 so some progress being made.

• Hi 

with me it was two days then pow, although it does not happen to some people there the lucky ones, you will know when it happens extreme hot sweats fatigue and tiredness hopefully you’ve skipped this, remember take your temperature, it’s important with all these viruses flying around.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Neil, I have had my third docetaxel treatment last week. Fortunately I have so far found that the main side effects have been fatigue which is at its worst in the first 5-10 days and then improves again. This is not helped by inability to sleep well which is probably the steroids. My hair started to fall out after my second treatment. Otherwise as Joe said check your temperature regularly. I keep a track of any other symptoms also, although as I said these have been minor. I make sure that I keep well hydrated, eat well and exercise regularly (although lack a bit of energy the week after treatment). 

• I had my first Docetaxel 2 days ago, so far feel  fine, maybe a little more tired. I am told if early doses tolerated, then maybe ok until accumulating tiredness etc may kick in later in the course.

• Docetaxel cycle 2, generally tolerable, main issue is fatigue which was huge days 6-7, then eased off. My hair is falling out and I got oral thrush, but I can put up with these.  
    hoping the allegedly accumulative side effects don’t worsen too much.

now I know to clear the diary for days 5-8 as that’s when fatigue is bad for me, but then it lifts, day 10 now and feeling a great deal better.

I tend to wake early, probably due to the steroids,

lower back pain day 5-8 probably due to the lonquez injection, paracetamol helps it.

hope this is useful for anyone else going through it

• Hi Roy Roy

I keep telling this to everyone on chemotherapy, make sure you take your temperature morning and night, very important. You might feel great or that it’s the chemo, but if your temperature goes to high or low, get to hospital. I say this after my third treatment I caught sepsis no idea how, I felt great but didn’t stop my temp going above a hundred plus. 
    On chemotherapy there’s always something to beware of low blood count is one so hope you sail through this, by the way my hair grew back on my head fine, other places hmmm.

Stay safe

Joe

• Thanks joeven. Did you have Lonquex with the chemo? Boosts bone marrow to make lots of white cells, reducing risk of neutropenia. It gives me a few days of lower back pain, but worth it to ward off neutropenia risk

• I had chemo on Tuesday. It was my second cycle. Fatigue seems to be particularly bad on the second day before starting Filgrastim.