PSA rise 11 months after prostatectomy

• 6 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hi everyone :) 

I am looking for some advice.  

My dad had a radical prostatectomy in March 2021.  He was having 3 monthly PSA checks with them all being 0.1 until February when it had risen to 0.2.  The consultant phoned the day after the bloods were taken and he has since had an MRI and a bone scan, awaiting to see the consultant on the 23rd of this month. 

My question is - how soon after your prostatectomy did your PSA rise? that's If it has risen (hopefully it hasn't). Is 11 months really soon?

My dad has basically been told nothing and none of know what is going on to be honest. We are aware the MRI and bone scan were to see if it has spead but that is all that we know. 

Apparently a rise in PSA after the operation doesn't always mean the cancer is back (or never went away) but I can't understand what another reason for the rise would be because he was told after the operation if it rises about 0.1 that it is not good?

Sorry for the extremely long book I have just written and thanks in advance for any advice. 

• One PSA test in isolation doesn't mean a lot; a repeat test would usually be advised (testing at a different lab / different machine / recalibrated machine can all throw up worrying results.

Hang in there for the scan results.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• My PSA rose in that time frame. I ended up having hormone therapy for 27 months plus salvage radiotherapy. Have a read at my profile for more information rather than me repeat it here. 
    After a prostatectomy a PSA rise to 0.2 or above is considered biochemical recurrence so cancer cells are there. 

Ido4

• Dont worry too much my PSA never dropped below 17 after my prostectomy in Feb 2020 .It had spread to lymph nodes and I was deemed high risk .After salvage ADT and  Enzalutimde as a first line treatment which I'm still taking , my PSA has been undetectable for 18 months now and all recent scans show no sign of cancer .Even though your Dad may need further treatment to mop up any stray cancer cells there is much to be positive about the scans will reveal where the cancer is  and he can be treated most often with a view to cure .Radio Therapy is so good these days and the drugs available can keep the cancer under control for many years .

• My numbers are as follows:

Radical Prostatectomy (RAP): July 2020

PSA History following RAP (Latest first)

0.044 10th November 2021
    0.040 July 2021
    0.035 10th March 2021
    0.027 November 2020
    0.084 August 2020

Friend of mine Peter had operation same day as mine. We both had the same surgeon. His PSA increased and he underwent Radiotherapy to mop up any residual cancer cells. I spoke to our consultant after and he explained to me that it was quite common and no big deal to have some further work done. After Peter had the radiotherapy his PSA dropped to negligible levels (lower than mine) and it has stayed at that for past six months. 

I think it is nothing to worry about.

• I realise that everyone's experiences are different, but for what it's worth --  I had a radical cystoprostatectomy eight years ago, after the op' my PSA was 0.29, now it is around 5.4 -- - my Urology Consultant tells me that he is not overly concerned, and that MDT meetings indicate that further treatment ( hormones ? ) may be considered if it reaches 10.0 - I repeat -- everyone is different, but if this helps, so much the better !

• Hi 16hogg I had prostatectomy 6th August 2020 PSA tested 3rd September 2020 0.1 Oncologist requested another PSA test 24 September still 0.1 cancer nurse phoned to say blood to be tested in 3 months 5th January 2021 PSA now 0.2 cancer nurse arranging bone and MRI scans results by 13 April both scans negative was referred for a PSMA scan which is 93% accurate compared to 65% normal MRI scan PSA 21st June 2021 0.4 PSMA scan came back negative prescribed 20 sessions of radiotherapy and two years Prostap injections no serious issues after the radiotherapy and now one year through the Prostap injections PSA now below 0.1 getting tested every 6 months now