Fear of treatment

• 47 replies
  • 138 subscribers

Hi all, I've been diagnosed with prostrate cancer thats affecting a small area that's not spread. I have a psa reading of 5.13 with a gleason score of 3-4 

My choices of treatments are radiotherapy, brachytherapy, surgery, or  watch and wait. Does any one know which aa the least side affects?

• The last sentence was supposed to be: I salute you, mo charaid, and wish you well. 

Richard the Shellback

Richard the Shellback

The situation is desperate - but not serious.

• Thanks Seamus,

I know it will be a hard slog, but I am up for the challenge.

As long as I have my partner Tracey at my side, there's hope.

I should find out in 8 weeks whether the VMAT has done it's job.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Richard,

It's good to hear that you have the choice of "watchful waiting".

The dilemma, "Will I, won't I", it's a hard decision to make. 

As long as you aren't plagued by "What If's"

Don't know how long I will be having the "Incontinence Pads".

Every time I am out of the house, I have one on, just in case.  I'm even sleeping with them.  Odds are, I won't need one, but the time I don't, that will be the time I dread.

Definitely no. regrets for me.

I have to wait 8 weeks to find out if the VMAT Radiation did it's job.

On the plus side, I still have 2 Enemas unused.

You never know!!!

Best of luck with your decision, at least you don't have to make it straight away.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hello Steve. Incontinence pads: welcome to my world. 

The consultant is concerned about the radiation causing the bleed to return. There is a mitigation, a “spacer” that is implanted between the prostate and rectum to absorb some of the radiation. That introduces another invasive test, adding to the risks. And that comes after a colonoscopy. Are you acquainted with Rohypnol? No? Then you haven’t had your drink spiked or enjoyed a colonoscopy. 

All contributing to the factors affecting my decision. It’s not easy but if it was it wouldn’t be nearly as much fun. 

I’ll await the PSA results and use the info to help arrive at a decision. I look to this forum’s distilled wisdom for advice. All suggestions gratefully received. 

Steve: constant vigilance is the price of dry trousers. Or give the kilt a go. 

In solidarity,

Richard the Shellback

Richard the Shellback

• Richard,

I've got a Colonoscopy due as soon as the Radiation symptoms calm down.  I get one every 3 years.  Should be in the new year.  It was due at the end of November.

I had been advised that Jogging Pants with the elastic bottoms would be my new best friend. 

And guess what?

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi steve

Just in case you’ve not had a colonoscopy before, make sure you take all the pain relief, because even when they do give it, the thing still hurts like heck.

Stay safe 

Joe

• Hello Steve, A veteran then. And sod the elastic bottoms; cable ties, cinched tight. Doesn’t work with kilts. 

Joe’s right about the pain relief. My point is that with the Rohypnol, there’s no memory of the pain. Roofies rule!

I n solidarity,

Richard the Shellback 

Richard the Shellback

• Hi Joe,

Think this is my 4th or 5th.  I'm on intimate terms with the camera, it's the tripod that was a pain.

I think the worst part is emptying your bowels the day before.  It just goes on and on and on.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Richard,

The thing about the Colonoscopy is, if they told me that I had Bowel Cancer, it wouldn't hit me as hard as when I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer.

Naturally I would battle against it, but would be more able to accept it.

Never in a million years did I expect to be diagnosed with Cancer.  It doesn't always happen to someone else.  It was my turn.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi Shellback

This may sound a little flippant but Billy Connolly does a brilliant sketch along those lines!

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!