Fear of treatment

• 47 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi all, I've been diagnosed with prostrate cancer thats affecting a small area that's not spread. I have a psa reading of 5.13 with a gleason score of 3-4 

My choices of treatments are radiotherapy, brachytherapy, surgery, or  watch and wait. Does any one know which aa the least side affects?

• Denon,

I was Gleason 7 (3+4) Intermediate risk.  My PSA was 12.4 and I went for the Hormones and Radiation treatments.

Side effects for me are loads of Hot Flushes from the Hormones.  The fatigue was building and I'm now onto my 9 of 20 Radiation sessions this afternoon.  It's painless but is taking it's toll on me.

The day before my first Radiation I had my PSA re-done.  Down to 1.09

Sorry but I don't know what I would choose if I had the option of surgery.

Best of luck with your decision and hope you get rid of the Cancer.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Denon,

The fatigue started not long after I started on the Hormones.  I was on tablets for 2 weeks, then the 6 monthly injection.

At first I was imagining every side effect under the sun.  I was reading about the side effects, then thinking 'got that'.

After a couple of Radiation sessions, that's when I could really feel it 

But, it needs to be done if I am to beat this, so I won't complain... much!

Steve (SteveCam)

• My gleason score was 3+4 and it was contained. I have opted for hormone therapy and radiotherapy. Had 3 months hormone therapy before 4 weeks radiotherapy. Hormone therapy stops all your manly functions but a small price to pay if you are cured. OK after. Radiotherapy caused a few bowel problems but cleard up after a couple of weeks. Go for it 

• All my manly functions returned after around a year after the hormone treatment finished. Probably the last one to return was putting the wheelie bin out on bin collection day.

Don't let your good days be spoilt by the worry of a bad day, that may or may not come along.

• I was slightly confused as to why my team recommended surgery and never really discussed radiotherapy as an option

Surgeons almost invariably recommend surgery, unless you have metastases; they're surgeons. That's why it's important to hear views from both surgeons and oncologists before making an informed decision. If surgery is an option, so is radiotherapy. 

With an early cancer (T1/T2), you could argue that surgery is a better option. But as the side effect profiles are so different (short term and long term), you still should be offered a choice.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Castle Farm Cottage,

My Gleason was the same as yours.  I am onto 11 of 20 VMAT Radiation sessions this afternoon.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Mally333,

Love the bit about the Wheelie Bin

Steve (SteveCam)

• I was the same age and Gleason as you when I was diagnosed. I opted for the da Vinci. Purely because I wanted the damned thing out. Didn't work. The surgeon left 2mm beccause he wanted to spare some nerves. I'm glad he did so. Psa has been below 0.1 since the op.

Get all the information you can on all the treatments before you make your decision.

It's all a bit mad at first but things will slot back into perspective.

Good luck.

• Hello Steve,

I’m interested to read your experiences. Your situation mirrors mine in terms of stage and Gleason score. I don’t think I am going to have too many options because of my age, 80 summers. I’m prepared for the hot flushes - I bought a fan. Manly functions are pretty residual already too. I look forward to reading of your progress and I might bore you with mine. 

In solidarity,

Richard the Shellback

Richard the Shellback

The situation is desperate - but not serious.

• Hi Shellback, 

Sorry it's taken so long to reply.  You can never get a signal in the hospital.

My only side effect from the VMAT Radiation is the Fatigue.  I can feel it growing after every session.  I can manage if I don't get any more side effects.

The Hormones, it's the Hot Flushes ( I've called them Night Flushes as they are mostly at night in bed.  Never sweat, just feels like the central heating is on full).  My body is on autopilot now, automatically pulling the duvet down.  Then I wake up cold, pull the duvet up and it starts again.

The other day I was at work, thought the radiator behind me had been left on.  It wasn't, it was my back, it was red hot.

Sitting in the hospital now, waiting for my Radiation session.

After today it's 13 down, 7 to go.

Steve (SteveCam)