Urinary Flow and RT

• 4 replies
  • 122 subscribers

Hi,

I read somewhere on here that someone had their urinary flow checked and as it was too low, they couldn’t have RT.

For anyone that has had radiotherapy, Is this a usual check in hospitals?  Because my flow is absolute rubbish,  so If they do check it, I can’t see myself being allowed to have RT.   And that’s despite being on Tamsulosin for the last month or so.

Thanks for your help, guys!

• Hi Mr Smith, dispite being on Tamsulosin and finisteride I did not have a flow more of a quick drip, I have had my RT since then my flow is the best it has been for a long time. All the best Ulls

• Hi Mr Smith

It was certainly something I had to go through. Bit of a surprise actually, as, at that time, I had no idea I had PC.

I believe that a weak flow won't stop you having RT however they may need to sort the flow issue first.

What does the hospital say?

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Mr Smith

It seems everyone’s experiences are different, I’ve been told my flow needs to be bare minimum 14 ml per second before they put me forward for RT and my PSA is under one .The reason I got told is that RT can damage the prostate which could make my flow worse and may give me other issues such as urine and bladder infections , that’s why my nurse wants my flow better so if there is damage after RT flow will be good enough to live with . I’ve been put on a months course of Tamsulosin and I’m praying my flow improves or he mentioned an op on my prostate to release the pressure to help the flow and if that doesn’t work a little look through my penis at the tube to see if there is some kind of blockage . So trust me next time I go for this test I won’t go for a whole day so I reach the required mark .

good luck and look after yourself 

Tony

• Hi,  thanks for all your responses.   I’ve got a oncologist meeting later,  and I suspect that either RT or chemo will be mentioned.  My worry of course is that if I go with RT then the situation will just be a waste of time due to not being able to pass some flow test.  I’ve no idea what my flow rate is but as it’s just a dribble I can’t imagine it’s very high.  That’s why I was trying to find out if all hospitals did a flow test before RT commencement.

I’ve only been diagnosed in the last couple of months and I am aware that early chemo (and possibly RT) hAs huge benefits for survival of someone like myself (at stage 4).   But I don’t want to mess round with saying  I’ll do RT,  if there’s going to be further delays.  I don’t want to miss the boat of any benefit of early treatment,   If that makes any sense?