Occurring backache

• 13 replies
  • 126 subscribers

Hi everyone. 

Posted on here a year ago when diagnosed with PC

Finished my 37 doses of RT and now coming up to my 2nd year of HT with zoladex. Had it for last year at 3 mthly intervals with on fairly hot flashes occasionally. Been very lucky so far with no other side effects with the exception of testcal shrinkage and loss of libido, but hey I'm 64 this year, married but we both accept that. I am on HT for 3 years(2 to go) possibly longer. I'm quite happy and for some reason I don't think about PC much. It's like I don't feel I have it so I just carry on. I mean it doesn't upset me. Why? I don't know. Does anyone else feel like that? However, I am now getting lower backache which has been progressing over the last two weeks, more so early evening it starts and when I first get out of bed. Is this the start of a newer side effect of the zoladex? I read nearly all your posts and feel for everybody on here and realise some suffer badly unfortunately. I pray everyone will get better or at least go on for many years to come comfortably. All the best to you all.

• Hi Neal. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis many years ago and was on calcium tablets for a few years and various painkillers, then morphine pills. Over the years after leaving a taxi job of constant sitting my osteoporosis improved to osteopaena and calcium was stopped. I am still on zomorph of 40mg a day which is a considerable reduction from 60ml of oxycontin daily. The last 5 years I have worked outside as a groundsman/gardener and maintainance at a leisure resort being much more active. Since being furloughed I have been less active and my back has begun to ache more over the last month. It may be just that I'm not as active lately but the thought is there of one of the side effects being osteoporosis as well as muscle wastage. I have got the large belly side effect which may be also contributing to it but the I still wonder if HT has brought about the start of osteoporosis again. Like Heinous said in his reply its best to get another checkup by the doc to get an mri and ct scan again to check. Good luck with Yr treatment too all the best

• yes on decapeptyl every 3 months finished my ht 37 sessions this week feeling ok just await results in july

• Hi there Neal and Norfolkboy

My history stems from 2006 and with hindsight, recalling the various incidents along the way of the developing disease, I do wonder if it had been handled differently, I would not be in the terminal state I find myself now!  My Prostate was eventually removed in 2017.  Sometime before this whilst my bladder was being investigated for blood in the urine, I asked the Consultant about removal and he blustered his way out, stating a" big operation" and not to be contemplated.  I think if they had gone ahead then, removed the gland it would not have spread into my lymph system and subsequently my skeleton .

Who knows, but as a young 70 yr old I feel my time on this coil has been cut short.  Waiting for the inevitable is not easy to deal with when meeting visiting friends and putting on a brave face.  All are understanding and reassure me they do understand.  I have found as time passes the fear diminishes but never disappears.