HIFU Focal Therapy

• 112 replies
  • 129 subscribers

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with early stage localised prostate cancer.   I have not yet spoken to Oncology or Radiotherapy professors, that's due in a couple of weeks.

I am researching the options and saw HIFU Focal Therapy this on the web.  I sent a message to them on Saturday and I had a 30min call today describing the treatment.   From what I've seen, it looks like a no-brainer compared to the risks related to alternatives, including robotic surgery which sounds the best of the rest.  I don't want to wait and see and radiotherapy looks risky.

I am 66, otherwise in good health and keep fit, still working, run 8 miles most Sundays and were it not for Covid had entered 5 half marathons this year (all postponed).  I have organ confined prostate cancer Gleason 3+3=6 with a maximum core length of between 1.5 and 2cm. Prostate Cancer has been found on the Left hand Side of the Prostate Gland. (5 of 6 cores taken were positive) The biopsies taken on the Right Hand Side of the Prostate Gland were negative.  I have private health insurance and the Focal Therapy clinic think I should be a suitable candidate.

I am somewhat overwhelmed by all the alternatives, including Nanoknife which HIFU states is not as good as its treatment which they say has a very strong success rate with limited issues prevalent in the alternatives.  

Any views on this would be much appreciated, especially from anyone who has undergone HIFU Focal Therapy.  Thank you.

• I would strongly argue against the 'cure' in Prostate cancer; like breast cancer, it can return after 15-20 years, and the only way to define cure is at autopsy if you die of something else.

Disease-free or remission are much better terms, and it feels just the same!

Also, the front page of their site says '10 year study', but the 'evidence section' says 5 years. Which is right.

Good Luck, whatever you decide!

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Stats look good, I have seen that figure before, try and find more stats and info regarding long term outcomes from other sources than your surgeon.

You say that u are from Singapore, is that where u are going to have the treatment?

Steve

• Hi Steve

I'm from Scotland, it was Frankie who is from Singapore and has had HIFU.

Yes, this is a key factor - I really want to see further evidence of HIFU outcomes, especially longer term.

cheers

Kenny

• Kenny

Not sure if you are going to be paying for this but HI Fu is available at some NHS centres 

I saw a good review regards Southampton hospital the other day, yes I know, other end of the country but there could be other centres nearer to u or in some cases could be worth the travel, at least Southampton is nearer than Singapore.

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Benny Ed

Kenny.

Thanks for your prayers for me. Hope that you have a fruitful discussion with your surgeon. Ultimately he is the best to provide info for your decision. 

Do note that all my comments that results in my choice are very personal. Different patients under different circumstances will have different opinions and conclusions. Therefore I don’t wish to debate or challenge deep on details and others opinions. The reason I like to share with you is because I believe your condition is very much similar to mine. 

You can private message me if you need more info about the experience of the procedure. But as far technical details, probably what you find from your Dr will be the best. 

Cheers, Frankie 

• I had very much the same diagnosis as yours 12 years ago, though my Gleeson figure was 4+4. The treatment was radio and hormone therapy. The prostate cancer is now well an truly in recession now, six monthly PSAs being always well under one. However the hormone therapy gave me hot flushes which was easily treated. But I now have non-invasive bladder cancer, which could have been caused by the radiotherapy. A urologist in the family however says it was more likely tdo have sprung from passive smoking. (I have never smoked.)

A more defiinite side effect of radiotherapy has been bladder incontinence. 

Joe Soap
  • Thanks Frankie - I'll see the surgeon on a video call tomorrow & will let you know how I get on.

I will private message you - are there any questions you think I should be asking him?

cheers

Kenny

• Hi, Thanks for taking the time to comment.  I'm sorry that you've been through the mill with bladder incontinence and now non-invasive bladder cancer.  But good news that your prostate cancer is in recession.  

Whilst I'll see the radiotherapy professor next week, this is the bottom of my list, I think.  If I can gather more positive evidence on HIFU, despite genuine concerns on the long-term - and I'll be pushing for evidence - then I'll plomb for that.  My jury is still out, to be honest and I wish to avoid making, potential, a very big mistake and one I'll regret.

kind regards

Kenny

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Benny Ed

Kenny.
    I believe the HIFU doc will be able to cover most of your doubts. The procedure is very straightforward. The question I can think of related to each different patient will be what his plans to burn which part of the affected prostate.
    Btw, as far as discharge is concerned, I don’t think it’s advisable to be same day discharge. After the procedure, you will feel very sore at your bum. It’s best to stay in hospital for at least one night under observation. My case I was perfectly well next morning. (Surgery at 3pm day before). 
    Frankie. 

• Hi Kenny

I would be really interested to know how your HIFU consultation went as I had the initial sales pitch last night, have a similar profile as you and am at the same decision making crossroads. 

I have already changed my mind so many times on the best course of action, so it would be really helpful to get some reasoned thinking by talking to others in the same boat.

My profile is, age 64, reasonably fit with localised T2 PC on the right side. My Gleason score is however higher at 7 and unfortunately a 4+3. My grade group is 3.

Feel free to PM.

Many thanks

Robin