Salvage radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy

• 97 replies
  • 141 subscribers

I have prostate cancer progression after a radical prostatectomy in July 2015. Currently on hormone therapy (prostap) 

My oncolgist was initially very reluctant to recommend radiotherapy for the two local recurrences I have (one on the prostate bed and one is in a remnant seminal vesicle). The reasons were treating the seminal vesicle area would result in a lot of bowel being hit. I had another appointment on Monday the result of which is I am going to have a radiotherapy planning scan on Friday 3rd March with a full bladder to see if this pushes some of the bowel away from where radiation will strike. I will meet again on 27/3 to get the results of the scan and a risk assessment on the possible toxicity of radiotherapy,

Has anyone else on this forum had salvage radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy?

How were the side effects? What as the outcome?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian.

• PSA test taken on Tuesday is <0.1 which is the limit for the test where I live. I'll take that result for ever and ever!

Time will tell...

Neutrophils are low so I have a repeat test on those next week to check on them.

Ido4

• I thought I would update on how things were after my salvage radiotherapy of 55 Grays in 20 fractions finishing on 26/4/17.
    I had my PSA measured again 1st August <0.1 so undetectable which is great. I do realise that I am only just under 4 months post salvage radiotherapy. I saw an oncologist Monday 14th August, he is happy radiotherapy has gone to plan and numbers are good. Neutrophil count still a bit low but he isn't overly concerned at the moment. He confirmed I will remain on HT until the end of April 2019 (Prostap 3) and will continue to be monitored with three monthly PSA tests. I see an oncologist again in February 2018. Best wishes to all, Ian.

Ido4

• Hi would you mind telling me what brand of dandelion root tea you take (there are so many) and where you get it and how you take it and also your daily 10,000 IU capsule of vitamin D3? Got to be worth a try, best of luck

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi There,

I had the Radiotherapy a year after the Laproscopic prostatectomy using the Da Vinci machine.  I was clean in the margins when they removed it, but somehow some escaped.

13 weeks X 5 days a week is 65 sessions.  Each was about 15 minutes or more.  Yes unbelievably tired, and yes even though I was sure to hydrate to fill my bladder I still suffered bowel problems.  In my case burned off pieces of bowel would come out with my BM.  For about 2 years my BM's were flat on one side from a little welding that finally broke lose just a few years ago.  That 2 year mark was also how long it took for most to all of my side effects to wain. 

Despite that I was clean for 2 years after this treatment.  Then in 2012 I started on Lupron injections every 3 months.  In 2016 those began to lose efficacy, so now I supplement with Zytiga and prednasone.  During the down time  I've had a little bit of growth in 2 lymph nodes, and it appears to be in stasis now with the Zytiga.

I'm alive and relatively healthy.  I understand menopause like no man should.  Give your wives a break on this one guys it is no fun over years and years. 

Anyway the gist of it all is the RT works, but more than likely will only be temporary.  If you've had the prostatectomy and still have the cancer, you have the type that probably won't go away until we get T-cell answers, or someone finally funds human research into IV Vitamin C.  The upside is the androgen blockers do work and will keep you going for years and years!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to riff

Hi riff, the dandelion root tea I drink is off Amazon and is Raw organic Dandelion root tea from kissmeorganics....I drink one cup of it in the morning with a little honey. I buy the 5 box set, each box has 20 servings, its about £13 as I recall. As far as the 10000 IU capsules, I take one a day and they are also off amazon from Nutravita, you get 365 capsules..and they also sent me a second box as a freeby! Riff, when I started taking these my PSA was doubling every 4 weeks, I have a gleason 9 tumour. Suddenly it stopped and my PSA dropped to 0.03, I was on no treatment and the docs had no explanation, other than, its the nature of the beast! However, things have changed, my PSA started to climb again and is doubling about every 5 or 6 weeks, my prognosis is not so good now. I still take the root tea and the vitamin D capsules..are they helping, who knows, the way I look at it now, is they cant be making it any worse. Good luck my friend.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Hafez

I am thinking of having the PSMA Gallium PET scan could you tell me if you had the Gallium scan ?  

Thanks

Art1

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ido4

Hi IDO4

That's good news, you do not mention side effects of SRT, I like most men are concerned about this so did you have any?

Art1

• FormerMember

Hello

Welcome to the online community.

The discussion you’ve posted to is a few months old. You might get more replies and ones that are more relevant to your own situation if you start your own discussion. It’s easy to do, just scroll up towards the top of this page and click on where it says Start a discussion. It’s just under where it says Prostate cancer.

If you decide to do that could you also post some info about your situation - any treatments you’ve had or have been offered and things like your PSA and Gleason score. 

If you’re not sure how things work please click here to go to the Help page.

All the best

Jim

• FormerMember

Hi Art1

Thank you for your message. Yes my husband had INMP 68Ga-PSMA INJ and INMP Ga-PSMA WBDY in February 2018 and in March 2017 post op. No micro met detected. 

Beat wishes.

Hafez

• FormerMember

Hi Havez

I'm looking to have a PSMA PET CT scan in the UK, instead of flying to Germany.

Did your husband have his on the NHS? What centre did it happen in?

Thanks, and I hope he is doing well.

Cillian