Portacath or PICC line ?

• 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi I’m due to start chemo within the next couple of weeks. Originally I was going to have a portacath fitted under my medical insurance but my medical insurance have decided they will not cover my chemo due to the regime my Oncologist wants to use. I now have to have my chemo on the NHS (same regime). The NHS hospital I’m under do not fit portacaths so it will be a PICC line in my arm. Can anyone tell me their experiences of portacath vs a PICC line so I can decide wether to just go ahead and self fund having the portacath fitted, is it worth £3.5k 

also has anyone has the chemo regime of FOLFOX and Avastin together? 

I had de bulking 8 weeks ago with incomplete cytoreduction. Unfortunately left with tumours on liver and small bowel arising from the peritonium. 

• My husband had a portacath put in. He has very "good" veins but the constant use of the veins just leading up to chemo made us glad he had it put in. I'm not sure of your finances or how long you have to have chemo for but you could always try the IV way and then put in the portacath if it gets too much. 
    Good luck with your treatment. 

• Hi there - l have just seen your post. I was offered a PICC line but went for a Portocath because l wanted to be able to swim. A port is under the skin and waterproof. The port is brilliant for chemo and blood tests and l had it fitted on the NHS. I am sure you could have it fitted at another NHS hospital BUT l just want to make you aware that phlebotomists are not trained to take blood via a port so you have to go to a chemo day unit each time you need a blood test. You can have a scan with contrast using the port but you have to make a special appointment. I don’t regret having a port. I have had it for 15 months with no problems other than inconvenience above. I have been on holiday and swam every day with my family. All in all l would recommend a port. Hope this info helps.

• I have answered the top part of your question and just noticed the end. I had Carboplatin, Paclitaxel and Avastin together. If l was to do it all again, l wouldn’t have the Avastin at the same time. The reason for this is you can only be prescribed Avastin for one year (l think it was 14 cycles every three weeks). So in hindsight l would have wanted to have started the Avastin when l finished chemo. This is only my personal view and of course oncologists know what is best. I just want to let you know that l have also had an op to resection my bowel to remove the tumours there and l now have a permanent stoma and also the cancer from my liver was removed so maybe ask if this is an option for you - it may not be possible but it is worth asking.