Suspected Secondary Peritoneal Cancer - Pending additional tests and location of primary source

• 1 reply
  • 11 subscribers

Hi everyone, I decided to join this forum to learn more about whats expected with this particular cancer as it most likely will be affecting a family member very soon.

This family member recently went to the doctors with some very mild complaints (pressure on the abdomen and they have already conducted a few tests (Colonoscopy, Ultrasound, CT - pending follow up) 

Right now, even though it is not a full diagnosis and we are waiting on other tests, the doctors believe it to be secondary Peritioneal cancer (this is because the peritoneum has thickened and is no longer smooth) I have googled this and of course the general outlook online is very bleak. We are still hoping the final diagnosis will not be as bad as we think but we just have to wait and see.

I was wondering if many others have recieved this diagnosis and how their journey has been? This family member feels perfectly healthy so this potential news is quite a shock to us. I have listed some questions below:

1. Has anyone been in a similar situation with minimal symptoms and what was the subsequent diagnosis and treatment?
  2. is there any advice you would give to someone who recieves this diagnosis? (with regards to treatments, second opinions etc)
  3. This might not be relevant to this forum, but are there cases where these symptoms are not cancer related?
  • Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your relative may have secondary peritoneal cancer which they are waiting to have confirmed once the primary is found.

As this group is for primary peritoneal cancer you might not get any replies to your questions as the people here are likely to have different symptoms and treatment to your relative. Once your relative knows where the primary is, then it would be best to post in that group as you'll then connect directly with others whose primary cancer has spread to the peritoneum.

I hope your relative doesn't have too much longer to wait to find out what type of cancer they have and for treatment to start.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"