Secondary Peritoneal Cancer

• 4 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi All

i’ve been diagnosed with secondary peritoneal cancer and have been given a life expectancy of 6-8 months. Your stories all sound so promising but do you all have primary PC?

mine came from oesophageal cancer which was treated in September 2018. I was given the all clear in March 2019. 2 weeks ago I was rushed into hospital with stomach pain and told my cancer had come back to my peritoneum.

I’m 54 years old, healthy and strong so am finding it difficult to accept. I’m starting my first round of Folfox chemotherapy tomorrow and I live in hope that my body will respond well to treatment to give me a longer life.

I would love to be able to reach out to this community to find someone who may have a similar story to share what will be a rollercoaster of a ride. Wishing for a happy ending.

Tofster

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've discovered that your oesophageal cancer has spread and I'm hoping that your first dose of chemotherapy went well.

You are right that most people posting here have primary peritoneal cancer but if you click here the link will take you to a list of posts which mention it as a secondary.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also join the oesophageal cancer group where you will find others with peritoneal metastasis. If you'd like to do this just click on the link I've created and then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'. 

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I an supporting my husband who has secondary peritoneal cancer, which happened 3 months after being given the all clear from treatment for bowel cancer.  This is all very recent and he is still in hospital.   Wondering if he should go for chemo is offered.   Reading your report makes me think it will be worth it.

• Hi Rose76

The chemo is worth a shot. People react to it in different ways and, here I am 7 months later, very much alive and coming on well.

I’m on TPN which might last forever, I can eat blended soups of which you can get a big variety of, so don’t’t miss out too much on food. I’m classed as disabled, I can’t walk far due to fatigue and breathlessness. I do exercise every day to compensate for this.

FOLFOX is harsh, it made me feel very ill. I had 3 doses then unfortunately had bowel ischemia, a life threatening  perforation of the bowel wall. I was told I would not survive the night and my kids were brought in to say ‘goodbye’. It didn’t happen. I’m still here Pray tone2

I had a good 3 moths off chemo to recover.I’m now on Paclitaxel, a chemo used mainly for ovarian cancer. It’s not as harsh but still strong. I’m just passed the half way mark and have had a few hospital trips, once neutropenic, the rest bowel obstruction- the drawback of the disease!

I’ll carry on with chemicals, immunotherapy, and anything else they put in front of me. I’ve told them to use me as a guinea pig within reason, to help with cancer research so that we can fight and survive. Muscle I also believe in positive vibes, surround yourself with these as much as possible by avoiding negative people, TV, social media and looking at the beauties of the world we’re in now? 

I’m still scared and aware of the danger of this disease but i’’m coming to terms with it by embracing the challenge ahead. The science in researching these cancers is truly amazing.

I hope this helps you Rose76. Please ask me any more questions if you need to? Tofsterxxx

• Hello, Tofster, I'm checking if you are still around as my husband has just been diagnosed with what you have. I'm hoping you alive and well and kicking. All the best.