• 9 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

So I am new to the group and noticed there hadn't been a post for a little while so figured I would just go right ahead and throw my hat in the ring because..... well why not.  So I was diagnosed with stage 4 peritoneal cancer back in May 2020 at age 35. Since then it's been a little bit of a whirlwind. I have just completed my 6th round of Chemo with a little break after number 5 to have surgery. This last round of chemo knocked me a bit when I had my 3rd reaction but I feel generally I have been quite lucky with side effects and such like. I have an appointment at the end of the month with the consultant to see what he thinks is the next best course of action. Here is my (kind of) question?

Does anyone else ever feel like they go into these appointments with the best of intentions of asking loads of questions and getting all the information that you and your family so desperately want and then finish the appointment and think darn it I was rubbish I hardly asked any of those questions? No fault of the consultants at all I think my brain starts taking in info and can't consider questions too. Does it get easier with experience? Is it because it is early days in the diagnosis and there is just still a lot of information coming at me? Or is it just something I personally need to work on?  Let me know your thoughts folks promise I won't take offence if you need to tell me it is just me and I  am a numpty.

• Hello and welcome to the community. I am from a different group so not able to advise on your particular cancer. I have had my fair share of chemo, so understand what you are going through in that respect. Like you, I got away fairly easily with side effects considering some stories we hear.

As regards taking in information at consultations, most of us here will be aware of this. You are not on your own trying to take things in. Like going in to a job interview and coming out thinking of all the questions you should have asked. We do advise people to write some questions down before hand and take notes during the meeting. Easier said than done when you are overwhelmed with info. Some people record the meeting if the doctor is happy with it. These days when you can't take anyone in with you makes it even more difficult to take things in. What you can do is ask to be copied in to the meeting notes. Your consultant usually sends a report to your GP and you can be copied in. It makes things a lot easier when you have things in black and white in front of you. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi mint

I'm fairly new aswell, been told I have ppc although not confirmed yet. I'm 49, Had stomach drained and biopsy taken, end of Dec 20, came home 4th Jan, 10days later was told biopsy needed to be done again not enough cells.  Then my daughter, husband and myself caught covid.  Now come out of the other side but obviously everything had been delayed.   Having an mri tomorrow, then biopsy and drain again on Friday.   I've lost 2st in this time, struggle with food, sick meds not making any difference,  can't have fortisip.     I'm struggling to muster the strength to fight this.  The doc did mention it is likely to be chemo, surgery and chemo, I am absolutely terrified of the chemo, I want to fight it, but due to not being able to eat, the nausea, the pain etc, makes it very hard, the thought of chemo causing continued issues, I don't know if I could cope.  I'm trying to focus on the fact I have a grandson who will be 2 in a couple of months and a grandchild due in July.  But when your tired, have no energy, shakey, and feel isolated as you can't gave anyone with you, makes it very hard to manage.  But the chemo really does scare me, so if you or anyone has any advice, tips etc.  It would be much appreciated. 

Thank you xxxxxx

• Hi 

Sounds like you've had a rough couple of months. I certainly remember those first stages of feeling sick and having no appetite and the fluid just making me feel awful. I was lucky in that so far I have only had to drain once and got so much relief from it.  Sounds like the same treatment plan as I had. I was really worried just like you going into chemo. It turned out for me not to be as bad as I had thought it might be so hopefully it is the same for you. I am not gonna lie and tell you there were no adverse reactions but within a few days I was usually feeling ok again. I had a couple of reactions to the drugs themselves which were very frightening at the time but amazingly how the nurses know exactly what they are doing when it starts to happen and can get you feeling ok again in next to no time. I think the worst for me tho was not knowing that was a possibility going in. If I had known it might not have given me such a fright. Stay as positive as you can possibly be but always be sure you are opening up about how you feel too. Nothing worse than trying to cope with all the feelings you will experience on your own. There is always someone here to chat to if needed and never be afraid to drop me a message whenever you like. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Mint_obsession

Hi mint

Thank you so much, that means alot. 

Take care

Xxx

• We are all on quite a journey. I must admit I am lucky as I have no family or work responsibilities and a husband who is picking up things I can’t manage.I found chemo ok. Far better than expected but of course everyone is different.  Don’t beat yourself up if you feel sick or lazy. You are not. Another member mentions getting the most out of appointments. I do try to have a list and get answers but what annoys me you are never quite sure what is followed up. After a year of asking about a hernia I went back to my GP who got me a surgeon within a few days.unfortunately not good news as they can’t do anything as cancer on the way back. Still it is 3 years to the day since I was first diagnosed and we have done loads in this time so I am not complaining. Speak to oncologist next week. Remember to stay positive. Nothing gained by worrying so have a quick worry and then set it aside.

best wishes to everyone and remember life is for living.

wx

Wx
  • Pepsirose, I remember very vividly being as low as you are before my treatment started.  Treatment had seemed such a frustratingly long time coming, going through scans and biopsy etc.  It didn't help that I knew that I was very very poorly......In about a month, I'd changed from being fit enough to run a marathon to not being able to walk down the street without stopping for breath.  I was having to take painkillers round the clock too.   Although my first chemo session didn't go well because of nausea, it was sorted straight away by changing the meds they send you home with and I felt better almost straight away.  I've had the odd wobble since where I've been worried about some symptom or other but the nurses at the end of the 24hr emergency helpline have all reassured me.  They've been super patient and understanding.   I'm about to have my 5th chemo next week..  All of them so far have left me tired for a few days but I am generally so much more like me and I'm feeling far more positive now I know the cancer is being repressed. The transformation in both my physical and mental health has been quite dramatic.   So, what I'm saying is, the illness is bound to bring you low but I hope that you can try to look forward to when there are better days when you'll be able to enjoy your grandchildren. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to NewbieMe

Thank you xx

• Hi 

how are you doing? I’ve just joined the group too. 

my mum has stage 4 peritoneal cancer and I used to go with her to her early appointments with a list of questions as my mum got so overwhelmed and didn’t ask anything while she was there. 
    I know that isn’t always an option for people though to take someone else. 

I just wanted you to know that you’re not a numpty at all! You have a hell of a lot going on but you can do it Slight smile