Post op recovery

• 5 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi, I had cyto surgery and HIPEC August 2021. Very grateful to Christie staff, family and friends for their support. Like many on here I also feel quite isolated, as it’s little known and we’re all spread far and wide.  Feel much better than I did but wondering whether some side effects are age (I’m 58) or op related.  Anyone had aching/weak hips and knees ? Waiting for tiredness and bladder issues to hopefully improve. Just on antibiotics as spleen went. Know we’re all different.
For anyone travelling to Manchester I’d thoroughly recommend the Maggie Centre (opposite the Christie) to seek advice, talk or just sit. 

• Hi and sorry you haven't had a response from anyone yet.  I'm from the breast cancer forum but by replying to you it can sometimes prompt someone else to as well.  This is quite a quiet thread.

I'd suggest speaking to your medical team about your symptoms and hopefully they will be able to tell you whether they are likely to be from the op or age related.  They might also be able to suggest something to help with the symptoms - maybe going for walks and gentle exercise.

Hope they are able to suggest something for you.

• Hi, I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed with Peritoneal cancer last September. I had my operation on 9th February and still have some tenderness and mild pain in my upper abdomen. I still get tired easily and cannot lift much weight. Luckily I have a brilliant daughter nearby who does most of my chores. I actually moved in with her after the op until last week. My knees are still giving me lots of aches and pains, I try to sleep on my back which is difficult but usually have to turn on my side which is uncomfortable and I think is the cause of my tummy pains. I visited the Maggie Centre in St James's Leeds and it has made such a difference to my confidence as I had no idea what cosmetics ect. I could safely use.

I have finished my Chemo and at the moment there is no sign of any cancer but know that it will re-emerge at some point. During my op a tumour was found on my abdominal wall so have now started on a treatment to help keep the tumours under control if they re-appear.

I hope your recovery is continuing to improve and wish you all the best.

• I also forgot to say regards age, I turned 70 last month and was still working when I was diagnosed so I think it all depends how active you are.

• Hi,

I did not have chemo after my op but hope that something that I think may have helped me is of use.  Sleeping on my side half lying on a pillow was more comfortable. It is tough for a while to get comfortable. Changing antibiotics reduced some joint pain. It’s a big op and the tiredness improves so slowly. Walking helped. The battered feeling wore off but 9 months after everything still feels different. Rightly or wrongly I felt the chemicals and drugs took a while to get out of my system. Some days are better than others. 
    I would raise any concerns with your clinical nurse. Few people have heard of pmp and what may be routine to experienced medical staff is all new to patients. I don’t think there’s such a thing as a stupid question. I don’t yet think I’ve got my head round all this.
    Your daughter sounds a star. Rest when you need to. What’s the phrase  ‘it’s a marathon not a sprint’ ? 
    Kindest regards.

• Hi Mazzel. Thanks for your reply. Yes I also have to lie on my side with a pillow half under my tummy, This is uncomfortable at first and my upper abdomen is painful from this but the alternative would be sleepless nights. In the last few days the pain in my legs has eased a bit. I have been using a magnesium spray I purchased from Harrogate Organics which also helps and Voltarol on my knees before I go to bed. I am feeling much better now I am sleeping better and try to get outdoors most days.

Best wishes with your continuing recovery.